Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Send Binary Data Serially

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatimamaz

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I need to send 8 bits binary pixels serially, can i send it as it is without conversion to ASCII?

Hi,

usually yes.
In detail it depends on the interface / protocol.
For example: if UART and there is software handshaking using XON/XOFF enabled only on the receiver side, then you may get trouble.

Did you try it? What were the results?

Klaus

Hello, I need to send 8 bits binary pixels serially, can i send it as it is without conversion to ASCII?
Of course - ASCII is just a type of notation. The real data is always binary.
what interface are you using?

The usual question with plain binary data is how do you want to perform data framing, e.g. detect the start and end of picture (or whatever the pixel data are expected to mean) transmission? That's where usually a protocol comes into play.

I used Rs232 serial port.

RS232 is a hardware interface protocol and is not what we are talking about here.
The simple answer is that a UART can send any 8-bit value which means that any binary value can be sent.
However, if I was to give you a value, how would you know what it means?
You talk about pixels so presumably they some in a sequence of frames which is made up of a certain number of rows, each of which has a certain number of pixels. Unless you have some higher level protocol that says "I'm about to send you a new frame" or "This is the start of a line" or "There are 64 pixels following this" then you have no way of the receiving end getting into sync with the sender. The protocol could also be in hardware - "when I raise this I/O pin, the following character is the first of a new frame".
THAT is the protocol that is being talked about here. It can be whatever you want it to be but without it, whatever you send is just noise.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back