Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] compare two voltages and select the maximum one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flote21

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I need to build an analog circuit without any uP, FPGA or programmable logic device, to compare to input voltages, and provide to the ouput the maximum one. Anyone can tell me any recommendation to do it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

feed both analog inputs to a comparator.
feed both analog inputs to a SPDT analog switch.
Control the switch with the comparator output.

Klaus

A pair of diodes.
Each anode connected to one of the voltages.
The two cathodes tied together and then to the load.

EDIT: with a dual-diode package, you can do it with a single device.

We need to have more information if the resultant voltage needs to power something, or if it is only for monitoring purposes.
If it is just for monitoring, the diode drop can be compensated with an op-amp, provided the voltage levels is within the limits of the op-amp.

Hello everyone!
It is to monitoring the DC voltage provided by a PTC thermistor.
Thanks for the ideas

You perhaps can use this as a starting point. Depending on the values of the PTCs, the input voltages (VG1, VG2) derived from them may need buffering by using two additional opamps.

The attachment shows only one circuit, but illustrating a DC and variable signal example.

Attachments

• peak_follow.png
    peak_follow.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 340
Hi it looks a nice solution. however I dont understand very well the finality of the SPDT, because without it, I can get the same results:

pic1.png

pic2.png

Greetings

Hi,

I think there is a misunderstanding.

You said "select" ... for me this means you don't generate a new signal, but choose either the one or the other.
The load current then is supplied by the input signals.

With your circuit you generate a new signal that is the higher value of both input signals.
No input signal is loaded..

Klaus

Both solutions are feasible, also the #9 circuit is loading the input with 100k pull down resistor. Problem of this thread is lack of specification, e.g. tolerable input current and voltage error, expected output impedance.

Apparently flote21 has found a solution according to his implicit requirements, so the thread should be marked as solved.

I dont understand very well the finality of the SPDT, because without it, I can get the same results:

The switch was just to show that with a fixed DC input, the circuit compensates for the diode drop. In 8 V, out 8 V.

Here's a simple max value circuit that should do what you want.
It's output is the highest of the input voltages and it has a high input impedance.
The diodes are inside the feedback loop so have no significant effect on the input-output voltage offset.
In your case you only need a two input circuit with two op amps.

Max value ckt.png

Last edited:
Hello!!
thanks for all the answers. I liked also the last one to remove the offset of the diodes.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back