Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thevenin theorem application

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmdrdo

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Untitled.png

Hello!

I'am having difficulty understanding the statements in the encircled part. What internal losses is it talking about? and how did it come up with its formula for calculating it? TIA.

Internal losses means the power which is not delivered to the resistor in question i.e. 10 ohm.

That means in case of R = 0 the power which is lost is the power which is dissipated across resistor 20 ohm that's why 7.2 watts.

But I don't know how he arrived at 12 watts for the second case.

As per my calculation it should be 3.7 watts which includes the dissipation across R as well as 20 ohm resistor.

You can calculate the dissipation across each resistor by using the superposition theorem.

Dissipation.jpg

If, instead, R1=20 ohm, R2=10 ohm, R3=20 ohm I obtained:

I1=0.25 A, I2=0.1 A, I3=0.35 A that is:

Pr1=20*(0.25)^2=1.25 W
Pr2=10*(0.1)^2=0.1 W
Pr3=20*(0.35)^2=2.45 W

So the internal losses are Pr1+Pr3=3.7 W as calculated by mjuneja, while the load dissipates 0.1 W (as correctly stated in the text of the problem)

Last edited:

View attachment 144387

Hello!

I'am having difficulty understanding the statements in the encircled part. What internal losses is it talking about? and how did it come up with its formula for calculating it? TIA.

Poorly defined problem. No definite statement on which two points they are Theveninizing. Best to do this problem by node analysis. Only one undefined node, call it V.

The node equation is :

paulmdrdo1.JPG

Easily solved for V

paulmdrdo5.JPG

The power across 10 ohm resistor is:

paulmdrdo2.JPG

The plot of the voltage across the resistor is:

paulmdrdo3.JPG

And the plot of the power dissipated in the resistor is:

paulmdrdo4.JPG

As you can see, when the R resistance becomes 20 ohms, no voltage is across the 10 ohm resistor.

When R = 0, 12 volts is across the 20 ohm resistor, so the wasted power is 7.2 watts. When R = 20 ohms, V = 8 volts and 4 volts is across resistor R = 20 ohms, which causes 0.8 watts wasted. 8 volts across the 20 ohm resistor causes 3.2 watts of wasted power. Added together we get 4.0 wasted watts when R = 20 ohms.

Ratch

When R = 0, 12 volts is across the 20 ohm resistor, so the wasted power is 7.2 watts. When R = 20 ohms, V = 8 volts and 4 volts is across resistor R = 20 ohms, which causes 0.8 watts wasted. 8 volts across the 20 ohm resistor causes 3.2 watts of wasted power. Added together we get 4.0 wasted watts when R = 20 ohms.Ratch

Your last calculation is not correct. If R=20 ohm, using your equation to calculate V at the connection point
of the three resistors, we obtain V=7 V. Then

Pr1 = (12-7)^2/20 = 1.25 W
Pr2 = (7-8)^2/10 = 0.1 W
Pr3 = (7)^2/20 = 2.45 W

then the wasted power is Pr1+Pr3 = 3.7 W. Node analysis and current branch analysis of course must match each other.

By the way, when V=8 V, there is no power dissipated onto the load regardless its ohmic value

Your last calculation is not correct. If R=20 ohm, using your equation to calculate V at the connection point
of the three resistors, we obtain V=7 V. Then

Pr1 = (12-7)^2/20 = 1.25 W
Pr2 = (7-8)^2/10 = 0.1 W
Pr3 = (7)^2/20 = 2.45 W

then the wasted power is Pr1+Pr3 = 3.7 W. Node analysis and current branch analysis of course must match each other.

By the way, when V=8 V, there is no power dissipated onto the load regardless its ohmic value

Yes, you are correct. I used the wrong voltage for the power calculations. Thanks for the correction.

Ratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back