Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A replacement SCR that operates at higher temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

barjaktar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

in one of our devices we use this SCR https://www.vishay.com/docs/94392/vs-80riapbfseries.pdf

It's too big, costs a lot and it doesn't behave that well at higher temperatures, so we are looking to replace it. After scanning through STMicroelectronics, Powerex and Ixys components I believe I found a fine replacement: https://ixapps.ixys.com/DataSheet/CLA80E1200HF.pdf

Has anyone had any experience with this component?

Can you maybe suggest something else in this domain of currents and temperatures?

Finally, a PSpice model of any of these would be great help - could you at least point where to look for one?

Thanks a lot,
Alex

the IXYS part has lower I2T and lower peak current capability, it the currents are bounded to less than 800A pk and 80A rms then it will be OK if properly heatsunk.

- - - Updated - - -

large SCR's are not suited to high temp operation ~ 100 deg C case for many of them - this is because the gain of the SCR goes up with temp and it can self trigger due to external dV/dT at elevated temps ...

How are you driving the SCR?

For elevated temperature operation, the drive circuit must solidly clamp the SCR gate during the off period.

I hope that you are not driving it with an opto-Triac and leaving the gate open during the off period.

I've seen papers and product announcements for
SiC SCRs, but couldn't tell you how real they are.
Pretty sure you won't like the price.

Dick;
what company is promoting those SiC SCRs?

Silicon Carbide has been the Tantalum(*) of power electronics for several years now.......But for one reason or another widespread usage has failed to materialize.

(*) Meant in the sense of the Greek mythology punishment, not of the more familiar capacitor material.

Interesting company iQXPRZ semi....never heard of them before.

How do you pronounce their name?

Hello everyone,

I was in a hurry back then, but I just wanted to express gratitude to all of you for information - especially since I learned about the new product here.

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.