Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How I/Os are realized inside FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjuneja

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys

I want to understand how user I/Os pins in FPGA, which can be programmed either as input, output or bidirectional pin in VHDL/Verilog source code; are realized inside FPGA to function either as input or output or bidirectional pin.

Do we have tristate buffer to implement such functions or something else ?

Does it depend on the technology as well ?

Hi,

Do we have tristate buffer to implement such functions or something else ?
Yes.

Does it depend on the technology as well ?
What exactly do you mean.
There will be tristate buffers in any technology....but for sure the specifications will differ.

Klaus

Usually, IO blocks in FPGAs have 4 paths to the physical pin - a direct input, a direct output, a registered output and a tri-state buffer (with enable/high impedance control). The fitter will chose which path is active in any design. All paths will can infered from the HDL code, or controlled via direct instantiation of IO block.

Unless you absolutely need them, you wont use bi-directional buffers. Most pins will be either In our OUt.

Usually, IO blocks in FPGAs have 4 paths to the physical pin - a direct input, a direct output, a registered output and a tri-state buffer (with enable/high impedance control).

That's true in a functional view. Physically, the direct and registered output is through an always enabled tri-state buffer. See a block diagram of Altera Cyclone III IO.

Cyclone III IO.png

That's true in a functional view. Physically, the direct and registered output is through an always enabled tri-state buffer. See a block diagram of Altera Cyclone III IO.

View attachment 144317

From the figure, it seems that for this particular FPGA only the output is tri-stated while the input (whether registered or not) is coming direct only.

So will this scheme remain same for other FPGA's as well ?

From the figure, it seems that for this particular FPGA only the output is tri-stated while the input (whether registered or not) is coming direct only.
I can't think of a reasonable different topology. Should the input be routed through a tri-state buffer? To achieve what particularly?

In fact, all recent FPGA have a similar structure of their general purpose IO pin circuit. The shown diagram is still lacking some details that are usually present
- programmable drive strength, implemented by multiple NMOS and PMOS transistors making the tri-state driver
- additional circuit for differential in- and output standards, connected to many of the IO pins

Hi,

So will this scheme remain same for other FPGA's as well ?

I assume the FPGA is well documented. I recommend to visit the FPGA manufacturer´s internet site. Select your device. Look for technical documentation, especially "I/O" description.

If you follow this ... and don´t find the information within 5 minutes, you should give us the manufacturer name and the exact name of the FPGA.

Klaus

If you follow this ... and don´t find the information within 5 minutes, you should give us the manufacturer name and the exact name of the FPGA.
... and we will visit them and force them to have better documentation...

Hi,

At first we can try to find the informations...

Klaus

... and we will visit them and force them to have better documentation...

Hey Barry

Don't drag them to court for not doing proper documentation.:p

Anyway for my FPGA I got the relevant details from their documentation.

I recommend using separate "in", "out" and "direction" signals in the design, and only at the top level connect them like this (VHDL):
Code:
input_signal <= tristate_pin;
if direction_signal = '1' then
  tristate_pin <= output_signal;
else
  tristate_pin <= 'Z';
end if;

This makes it easier to see when the output driver is active in simulation,
and it is the required way to do it in ASIC design, where the I/O-blocks are treated as components (and you don't do the 'Z' assignment).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back