Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital circuit to divide larger bits into smaller bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mthakur

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can u tell me how can i divide 36 bits into four 9 bits?
means i am having one input of 36 bits and that 36 bits is further divided into four 9 bits and each 9 bits used as address of bram input. so which digital circuit is used to divide?

you just want to index. in Verilog, this has a few options. In VHDL, fewer.

Using +: in Verilog
x[0*9 +: 9]; x[1*9 +: 9]; x[2*9 +: 9]; x[3*9 +: 9]; // syntax is x[ base +: width ];

Using : in Verilog
x[(0+1)*9-1 : 0*9]; x[(1+1)*9-1 : 1*9]; x[(2+1)*9-1 : 2*9]; x[(3+1)*9-1 : 3*9]; // syntax is x[high : low];

In VHDL, replace : with downto and [] with (). VHDL does not have +:

COuld you better specify what you are doing? are you just trying to slice a bus?
and what language?

VHDL doesn't have +: but you can use range types.

siga <= sigb(range)

-----------------

The name for what I believe you want to do it called bit slicing.
The reverse would be bit concatenation.

-----------------

I wouldn't think of it as a digital circuit, rather just bundling wires(signals) together.

Code VHDL - [expand]
type rangeA is range 8 downto 0;
type rangeB is range 17 downto 9;
--
AddressA <= in32bit(rangeA);
AddressB <= in32bit(rangeA);
AddressC <= in32bit(rangeA);
AddressD <= in32bit(rangeA);
-- instantiation of bram
 addrA => AddressA,
 data   => x,

VHDL doesn't have +: but you can use range types.

There is no such thing as a range type.

In your example, the rangeA and rangeB are just integer types. And an integer type cannot be used to define a range directly. You would need to use 'high and 'low (or 'left and 'right). 'range is only applicable to an array type.

AddressA <= in32bit(rangeA'high downto rangeA'low);

VHDL2008 makes life a little easier with the addition of 'subtype and 'element, that allow easy definition of objects, especially in things like processes and functions where lengths may be unconstrained in the code:

Code:
signal a : ip'subtype;
signal b : array_ip'element;

Last edited:
Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
IIRC, you would need to use subtypes. VHDL does allow:
Code:
subtype my_range is natural 15 downto 8;
signal my_signal : std_logic_vector(my_range);
y <= x(myrange); -- indexing for assignments too.
z(my_range) <= y;

--edit, maybe "type" also works. I don't think I've ever tried it after seeing that subtype worked, and was a bit more clear.

type does not work (tried). But yes subtype is allowed.

But we are offering solutions to a problem that may not exist. Why has no one suggested just using literals to slice the array?

Code:
op0 <= ip(8 downto 0);
op1 <= ip(17 downto 9);
--etc

or in verilog:
Code:
op1 <= ip[8:0];
op2 <= ip[17:9];
//etc

if you can't bitslice some array of bits then you are really lost. forget about implementing the architecture from this paper, go read some verilog/vhdl tutorial. this is REALLY basic.

IEEE documents are behind a paywall. Links to them are useless for the majority of forum members.

I did have a look at this document. This is not a simple exercise for someone with your apparent level of Verilog knowledge. This is an implementation of scalable parallel ternary CAMs, and Figure 3 is only a vast simplification of the actual block you would have to deliver. Figure 4 below it shows more of the complexity involved. This is NOT trivial. As has been pointed out above, if splitting up a bus is outside of your level of knowledge, then you will not succeed in implementing this without getting some ability in Verilog.

I've been doing this stuff for a long time and I think it would take me at least two weeks to wade through all the math, write the HDL, write a testbench and then simulate it.

Not a good choice at all for a first project.

r.b.

i already completed half portion.. i made that ram part and its reading and writing the stored value and i divided the bits in sub-bits.its not dat tough to divide. but now i have to connect that with BRAM.. and how tcam will work with that bram searches? i think i should use comparator to compare all of the 8 bits wiith stored value in RAM. can u suggest me? please if u are able to do then please help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.