Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Send Serial data through RS-232

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatimamaz

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have pixels (12 bits each) and i need to send them serially by UART RS-232 while the maximum data bit is 9 bits. How can i send the data of each pixel without any compression?
Thanks

There are lossy or lossless compression (which perhaps that's what you're referring to?), and if the update rate in the receiver side is a relevant item, you can consider some kind of variable allocation of data within the frame so that do not waste the most significant bits of the second byte if you were to send the 12 bits within 2 words of the UART.

Hello,
I have pixels (12 bits each) and i need to send them serially by UART RS-232 while the maximum data bit is 9 bits. How can i send the data of each pixel without any compression?
Thanks

What is maximum data bit means here??

Are you saying that out of 12 bits only 9 bits contains the actual data..

12 bits are the actual data.

You can use 2 bytes/pixel as suggested by Klaus if transmit rate is not a challenge.

Otherwise you may try to fit 2 pixels (i.e. 24 bits) into 3 bytes as well. (if you want to save redundant bits)

like byte1 = pxl1(7 downto 0)
byte2 = pxl2(3 downto 0) & pxl1(11 downto 8) // concatenate lower 4 bits of pxl2 and higher 4 bits of pxl1 in a single byte
byte3 = pxl2(11 downto 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back