Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

importance of w/l ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

MArunsai

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi sir,
This is Arun
i'm studying B.Tech second year. I'm intersted in VLSI design, so i would like to know about importance of width and length of transistors or MOSFET'S......

they are very important.

Vague questions often deserve vague answers.

As you may know, W and L are respectively the idealized dimensions of the width and length of the MOSFET channel. A basic reasoning (without further researches) would lead to the conclusion that increasing W would decrease its "ohmic" effect and increase its current capacity, while increasing L would have an opposite effect, but on the other hand would increase its breakdown voltage. A more elaborated study requires modeling with an approach to the physics of electromagnetism fields applied on these materials, and from there arise the descriptive equations that you find everywhere, in which case you can extract the other effects, such as propagation time, dissipation, capacitance, etc. Like everything in the world, there are compromise relationships, where increasing one factor impacts in another aspect, and in the end the goal is to harmonize those parameters which is achieved by providing an optimum W/L ratio. I believe you did not open this thread just to ask this, since this basic information would be a requirement for introduction into that discipline at the university, therefore be specific.

If you want to know more about W/L ratio its better to refer Neil Weste "Digital CMOS Design: A system prespective". the W/L ratio plays an important role in deciding the current flow via a transistor and how to control the flow and as mentioned by andre yes the capacitance and resistance effects will also change which again leads back to your current, hence my suggestion is you go through the operation of the MOSFET and current equations and other basic parameters. Hope this is helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back