Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spartan 6 and flash memory data transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAVADHABIBI

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
have an spartan 6 board and transferring some data to PC. I need a flash memory with USB interface(like transcend, Silicon power,... ) to save some data to user. I haven't any idea about transfer speed. I need about 13 MByte/s. This is available on windows data transferring to flash memories. Is it available for me? What is your offer about interface with flash?(Driver IC or IPCore or Micro controler or ...)

Not very clear, unfortunately.

1. You want the FPGA to expose an USB device interface to the PC?
2. You want to connect flash memory a. to the PC b. to the FPGA?

Or you want the FPGA to mimic an USB mass storage device?

I have an spartan 6 board. I need a flash memory with USB interface(like transcend, Silicon power,... ) to save some data to my board user. I haven't any idea about transfer speed. I need about 13 MByte/s. This is available on windows data transferring to flash memories. Is it available for me on board? What is your offer about interface with flash?(Driver IC or IPCore or Micro controler or ...)
Edited: I have an spartan 6 board. I need a flash memory with USB interface(like transcend, Silicon power,... ) to save some data to my board user. I haven't any idea about transfer speed. I need about 13 MByte/s. This is available on windows data transferring to flash memories. Is it available for me on board? What is your offer about interface with flash?(Driver IC or IPCore or Micro controler or ...)

To connect USB memory, the FPGA board must implement an USB host interface. Besides having a high speed USB PHY or full featured controller on board, an USB host stack must be implemented. Most USB host example designs are using an embedded processor (hard or soft core) for the high level host layers.

In terms of design simplicity, any other memory interface (e.g. SDcard, SPI, PATA, parallel memory bus) is easier than USB.

In my previous project, i drive a Spartan 6 - PC interface using FX2LP. Is it possible to connect a flash memory drive instead of PC-USB-Cable and write data to it? what about file making in this mode?

FX2LP is an USB peripheral controller and can't realize the USB host function required to interface a memory device.

You need a device like EZ-OTG, or implement a different memory interface as suggested.

Really thanks FvM. I see the EZ-OTG document in cypress website:
EZ-OTG (CY7C67200) is a single-chip, programmable USB On-The-Go host/peripheral controller supporting full-speed USB.
This is full speed and it means 12Mbps or 1.5MBps. Is there any Hi-speed host controller?

Hi,

Look at FTDIchip.com.
Maye the Vinculum or other ICs are suitable.

Klaus

Thanks KlausST! I find FT908 suitable for my application. It is a Hi-speed Host controller. The only confusing with it is that how can i create a file (for example .csv, .txt) in USB Flash drive with it? Is there any documentation or sample code to help me?

Hi,

your FPGA or microcontroller needs to be able to handle a file system. Not a usual task for an FPGA.
You need to choose a suitable file system. Maybe FAT16...
Accessing flash, formatting it, writing/creating file allocation table, opening a file, writing to file....I don´t know how exactely this all works

As already mentioned: not a simple task.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back