Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] How to store data in Flash non volatile memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

21_nandhakumar

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am working on IR project using PIC 12F-1572 controller . I don't know how to store the status of IR in flash non-volatile memory. can you send some example code of non volatile memory. please help me the issue

Thanks

Please be aware of a couple of things:
- you can only erase a complete row of 16 14-bit 'words' at a time (Section 10.2). You can write to a previously unwritten (since erasure) location but only once. [Strictly not quite true but you can only set a bit from '1' to '0' and not the other way around which makes this largely impractical.]
- the write cycle is about 2 ms and your device will stall for this period of time (Section 10.2.2). Whether this is an issue will depend on what else the MCU is supposed to be doing at that time.
- you can erase/write a cell at least 10,000 times but after that you *might* get errors coming in as the cell wears out. Depending on what you mean by "...the status of IR..." and how often you need to update the values, you may find that you can reach this limit quite quickly. Using the devices flash memory is better for holding values that change very infrequently. Alternatively you will need to look at techniques that spread the erase/write cycles around a number of rows. External flash memories typically have much higher erase/write cycle counts.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.