Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit2 Programmer and PIC12LF1822 problems with 8 out of 10 devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbraddy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Having lots of problems with programming Microchip PIC12LF1822 MCU, the low-power XLP version of PIC12F1822. Using the Canakit PICKit2 programmer with ZIF socket has always been reliable until now. It has worked flawlessly on latest PIC12F1822 and older PIC12F675 MCUs for about a year. Latest project involves ultra low power needs, so had to switch from PIC12F1822 to the PIC12LF1822. Out of 10 PICs received today from Digikey, only 2 have been programmable. I'm starting to wonder if I got a batch of bad chips...

Many of them show "No device detected" and when Erase button is used, the Device shows "Unsupported Part (ID=2800). I have lowered the VDD voltage and changed "Target VDD Source" from Auto to Force PICkit2 and set VDD to 3 to 3.3 volts, which works on 2 of the 10 devices.

I can't tell if the 2 devices that have programmed are just outliers and there's something misconfigured for programming these low power devices, or if 8 of the 10 devices are bad from Digikey and Microchip.

Any suggestions on next steps, aside from ordering more devices to test? (i have exhausted all available information and options I know to try)

Thanks in advance.

Rick, W5FCX

A search shows lots of people have problems with Canakit programmers.

A real Pickit 2 generates the programming voltage using a PWM driven boost power supply and it has feedback to measure and regulate the voltage. However, in the photographs on Canakit's web site, I can't see the inductor necessary for it to work. I do not have a schematic so perhaps they use a different, and less reliable, way of controlling VPP. It could still be software compatible.

I have a real Pickit 2 and have no problems with 12LF1822 devices.

The device ID code for the 12LF1822 IS 0x2800. Do you have the latest version of Pickit software and the latest device list?
As far as I know, that most recent device list is number 1-63-146.

Brian.

A search shows lots of people have problems with Canakit programmers.

A real Pickit 2 generates the programming voltage using a PWM driven boost power supply and it has feedback to measure and regulate the voltage. However, in the photographs on Canakit's web site, I can't see the inductor necessary for it to work. I do not have a schematic so perhaps they use a different, and less reliable, way of controlling VPP. It could still be software compatible.

I have a real Pickit 2 and have no problems with 12LF1822 devices.

The device ID code for the 12LF1822 IS 0x2800. Do you have the latest version of Pickit software and the latest device list?
As far as I know, that most recent device list is number 1-63-146.

Brian.

Yeah, it very likely is the Canakit programmer - hard to believe I got 10 bad devices (they're all now going undetected) from DigiKey. I ordered a new PicKit3 with ZIF socket and will try again with that next week.

I found that version 1-63-146 and installed it. I was on a recent version, but that one appears to be even more recent. I don't believe that was the issue...

Some of the devices initially were read correctly as 12LF1822 devices, but would error out when attempting to program them with a hex file. The rest always showed No Device Detected, then an Erase would sometimes cause Device to read Unsupported Device (ID = 2800). Now I can't get any of the 10 to be recognized at all. It has to be something incompatible with the lower voltage (something different) about the LF device and this 3rd party programmer by Canakit.

Thanks for your guidance. Hopefully the PicKit3 will resolve it. Meanwhile, I've ordered more devices, this time from Mouser to (hopefully) get a different batch from Microchip, in case it's a device issue.

Received new PIC12LF1822 devices from Mouser - similar issues programming the LF parts with Canakit PICkit2 programmer - only a few parts could be recognized and programmed.

Received PICkit3 programmer and now all parts can be programmed perfectly! The Canakit PICkit2 works fine on non-LF parts but not on the LF parts for me... i.e., PIC12F1822 works every time, PIC12LF1822 does not.

Bottom line - use PICkit3 from Microchip. Lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back