Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] ATF-35143 misbehaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smi.james.th

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

Newbie here. I am trying to build a 7GHz amplifier using the ATF-35143 pHEMT with matching that I designed myself. I don't have a lot of experience with discrete transistors and amplifiers in general, my previous work was more in passive RF.

When I apply a 7GHz tone to the input of the amplifier, after biasing it with V_DS 2V and I_DS at 5mA, I get a lot of strange "tones" at the output, as in the photo:
harmonics.jpeg

I made some I/V curves on the same transistor (without a source or a load attached) and this was the result:
unnamed.png

What could make a transistor behave like that? I have a package of them, this is the third one I've tried all with fairly similar results. I don't know if there's something that I'm doing wrong to break the transistors, I have taken all reasonable precautions against static.

Thanks in advance.
James

Your amplifier is oscillating. Could be from a poor PCB layout design or due to the bias setting and design.
ATF-35143 it is a high gain device, so the first step to fix this issue would be by reducing a bit its gain.
Adding a low value resistor (~10 ohms) in series with transistor drain would also help reducing oscillations, and not affecting much the noise figure.

Just to follow up - this is a good point, I didn't think about stability. I had expected an oscillating amplifier to produce a single strong tone, but never having done this before I guess you live and learn.

I have managed to stabilise the amplifier by adjusting the bias point, have not tried a resistor in series because there wasn't really any place in my board design for it, it was pretty compact.

As a result, my amplifier is quite rubbish but at least it amplifies a little bit and doesn't oscillate anymore. I think that by adjusting the bias-point, the S-parameters of the transistor are no longer valid and hence the gain characteristics of the amplifier will change.

On to round two I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back