Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Railway communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsn93

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello im very new in electronics im trying to develop a product for train that need to meet railway industry standards ...

im not getting enough information from client right now

but im researching about the products it seems they use CAN bus

so i researched more about the can bus looking for micro-controllers that support it..

i though that the best thing is to go for microchip because it has good resources and easier to begin with ..
so i thought that i can start with (SAMC21) family ..

however, while researching i found abstract from IEEE saying :

"Nowadays, there are mainly two kinds of Commercial protocols based on CAN bus: device NET and CAN open. While these two protocols are developed for general purposes, they are not fit for the railway rolling stock occasions which require high reliability due to the complicated structure."

so i thought does it affect my choice ?
is it like a firmware stack like can open ?

this is something new for my company and im fresh graduate and don't have the industry experience ..

am i even on the right path of electronics industrial product development ?

any suggestions ?

this is something new for my company and im fresh graduate and don't have the industry experience ..

am i even on the right path of electronics industrial product development ?

any suggestions ?
I'd say your company has a bunch of clueless people running the place, if they expect a new grad with no industry experience to just jump in and run with this project.

I suggest you start looking for a company that sells both expertise/training and hardware for CAN. Get a support/training contract with them and hopefully they can help point you in the right direction.

The CAN bus has many different protocols suitable for very specific industries. Buses use a special CAN protocol (different from cars) and so do things like trains like you've discovered. I don't think the protocol has much to do with which microcontroller vendor you go with, beyond whether it has enough memory and performance available to run the protocol stack for that particular implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.