Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller as a web server in local network

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshaybhavsar

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have to store web pages(HTML) in controllers flash memory and read it with browser.For that Please suggest me wifi module.

Regards,
Akshay

Please suggest me wifi module.
The title and the statement of the question can lead to confusion, because it come with the need of "module" and "microcontroller", which are usually based devices/solutions sometimes plastered or flexible in their functionalities. In addition, "local network" usually refers to wired network (LAN). For the Wifi question, I think a large number of people here will recommend ESP8266 with Arduino Wi-Fi libraries created by igrr (see GitHub). However, if this is your choice, you should be aware that this solution would have limitations with regard to the number of pins available, as well as restrictions inherent in the IDE itself.

Without using any module.Can I have onboard wi-fi and wi-fi stack is implemented in controllers firmware?

- - - Updated - - -

I am not suppose to use arduino.I have to use PIC controller.

- - - Updated - - -

If I use this module and UART communication in between.If I want to display large files(ex 100MB)It will take much more time.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont know what is going to be size of HTML pages.

"store web pages(HTML) in controllers flash memory" and "display large files(ex 100MB)" doesn't fit well together.

A PIC32 or ARM processor can reasonably store some 100 kB of compact web pages in internal flash, for larger content, you'll use external memory, e.g. SDcards.

I'm not aware of WiFi-enabled PIC processors. What are you talking about?

I am aware of external flash.I am anyways going to use external flash.Problem is with UART communication.If I send 100 MB file with 9600 baud-rate.It seems to be very slow/.So on HTTP request(Web page will be loaded with 9600 bps(9600/8=1200 kbps)).

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any Wi-Fi enabled controller?

Problem is with UART communication.If I send 100 MB file with 9600 baud-rate.It seems to be very slow
I'm not sure where the UART suddenly popped up from.
Most external flash memories will use a parallel nterface or I2C or SPI serial interface which can certainly transfer data faster than the equivalent of 9600 BAUD.
If you are talking about the interface between the MCU and whatever WiFi module you select, then, as before, you should be able to transfer data at much higher rates than 9600 BAUD.
I don't see where this speed limitation comes from!
Susan

I guess the UART interface is imagined as possible interface between the µC and a WiFi module, ESP8266 might use it. There faster interface options, e.g. high speed SPI. But as a matter of fact, it's demanding to achieve higher throughput than a few 10 Mbps with a standard microcontroller, even with built-in ethernet PHY. It's not particularly a problem of interface speed, execution of the TCPIP stack is the bottleneck.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides the Espressif controllers (ESP32 is the most recent device, faster than ESP8266), there are ARM based router chip sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.