Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ethernet Switch IC selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ku637

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have an RGMII interface (Gigabit EMAC,RGMII v2.6) coming from a module, i need to provide 2 Ethernet ports for that RGMII interface, with following functionality on each of it

1)10/100 Mbps /1 Gbps
2)10/100 Mbps /1Gbps ( here 1 Gbps is a nice to have, not mandatory)

Can you please tell me if any ethernet switch manufacturer devices can handle this requirement.?

I have checked Microchip,Realtek,Micrel etc it seems they are providing 1GBps ethernet switches with 5 or 6 ports minimum.

If you have higher ports device and if we are using only say 3 ports ( 1 RGMII input and 2 output ports) can i use it? What to do with the unused ports any idea? please elaborate possible as im new to this,

Thanks

I have an RGMII interface (Gigabit EMAC,RGMII v2.6) coming from a module, i need to provide 2 Ethernet ports for that RGMII interface, with following functionality on each of it.
:shock:

1 RGMII interface (from MAC) can only be connected to 1 RGMII capable PHY.
You cannot just tap out wires from the RGMII lines and provide another interface. Data change takes place at both the rising and falling edges of the rgmii clock. rgmii receive clock and transmit clocks are different. Please read the RGMII spec carefully.

Can you please tell me if any ethernet switch manufacturer devices can handle this requirement.?
I don't think so.
But it can be done with some special logic, implemente, for example inside an FPGA. The logic will just duplicate another another set of RGMII signals inside the FPGA to provide you with another set.

1 RGMII interface (from MAC) can only be connected to 1 RGMII capable PHY.
You cannot just tap out wires from the RGMII lines and provide another interface. Data change takes place at both the rising and falling edges of the rgmii clock. rgmii receive clock and transmit clocks are different. Please read the RGMII spec carefully.

I was not mentioning about random taping. What i have in mind is Ethernet Switch Chips commonly available in markets.

E.g . https://www.microsemi.com/products/...sc7511-4-port-layer-2-gigabit-ethernet-switch
But it can be done with some special logic, implemente, for example inside an FPGA. The logic will just duplicate another another set of RGMII signals inside the FPGA to provide you with another set.

Yea i understand but FPGA is not a feasible option for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back