Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Varicap driving without current limiting resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
In my received I want to minimize the components count.
I wonder if I could drive the varicap without the 100k current limiting resistor?

At the extreme potentiometer end, the varicap will be connected directly to the ground or the VCC.

Attachments

• tmp.JPG
    tmp.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 44

That's not for current limiting - it's to keep the variable
voltage tap from killing Q. Higher R is better. Lower and
you will **** out all the energy from the crystal tank.

**** = s u c k, a perfectly valid and appropriate verb.

That's not for current limiting - it's to keep the variable
voltage tap from killing Q. Higher R is better. Lower and
you will **** out all the energy from the crystal tank.

**** = s u c k, a perfectly valid and appropriate verb.

I've seen some use even 1M for this purpose, would the varicap still be driven with 1M, or will the current to it be too low?

Varicap diodes are run in reverse voltage condition. The voltage you apply 'opens' ('widens') the barrier across the PN junction to decrease it's capacitance so no DC current flows. As there is no current, except maybe a very, very small leakage, the resistor value doesn't matter within sensible range.

If you look at your schematic with the resistor linked out, you will see the problem when the potentiometer is at each end of it's track - you short out the signal at the crystal. Theoretically, you could replace it with a choke but introducing even more reactive components will probably have adverse effects.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back