Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Pickit2 clone not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

okalman

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I've made a pickit2 clone. The schematic is the same as in the documentation.
The problem is that software cant recognize the programmer. In device manager I can see "unknown usb device". When I plug in the programmer the red led starts to blink. If I press programmer button stops blinking, but the "unknown usb device" disappears in device manager.
I've programmed the 18F2550 mcu with art2003 schematic in low voltage mode. I was not able to change lvp config bit. Could it cause the problem?

Thanks for reply.

The problem is that software cant recognize the programmer. In device manager I can see "unknown usb device".

The official Pickit2 should be detected by Windows device manager as a standard HID.
I presume that when conncted by MPLAB, the program will try to upload an up to date firmware.

The symptoms suggest the firmware isn't loaded, I've seen it a few times after Pickit2 'accidents'.
I can't remember where but I'm sure I've seen an option to restore the firmware, I do not have Windows to check.

Brian.

Problem solved. There is confict with usb mouse. I have to unplug mouse before pickit connected and plug back the mouse. Now it works well.
Thank you for help.

This is a known problem with older Pickit software but it was fixed in later releases. See if you can find the latest version on Microchip's web site, it fixes the problem and also allows it to program more devices.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.