Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductance of a 1 metre length of mains cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello
We tried to measure the inductance of a 1 metre length of three core mains cable (L,N,E).

We did this by soldering a 2.2uF film capacitor to live and neutral at one end. –Also attaching a scope probe to this capacitor. Then we touched live and neutral at the other end across a 10V power supply.

We determined the inductance from the frequency of the subsequent ringing..
The frequency of the ringing was 111kHz.
This means an inductance of 933nH.
We are amazed because this seems so high. Can this be right?

I'm not sure I would trust that method. Looking at it topologically, you have two inductors (L wire and N wire) but they are running in parallel, effectively making a self canceling magnetic field. There is also considerable capacitance in the insulation and the inductive properties of the capacitor to take into account.

I'm not able to do calculations form memory at the moment but I would think a better approach would be to use a stripline calculator. They are normally used for designing at microwave frequencies but there is no reason they shouldn't work with massively increased values.

Brian.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
0.6 - 0.7 µH/m is the specific inductance for 2x1.5 mm² HO05. I would expect the same value for 3x1.5 mm² because the conductor center distance is essentially the same.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back