Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

are these capacitors the same??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wozzzzza

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have a capacitor that is faulty and needs replacing. its 0.47uf or 470nf, i think that is the same thing isnt it? been a long time since i studied electronics.

the faulty capacitor is the image below.

i found 2 capacitors online that look the same specs, but are these the same? the yellow one is larger, the red one is the same size.
will either of these work as a replacement?
https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/polypropylene-film-capacitors/8712427/

https://www.wagneronline.com.au/met.../electronic-components/47mkpx2-275-336/30/pd/

Attachments

• capacitor.jpg
    capacitor.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 94

They should both be suitable but check the pin pitch (distance between the pins) is the same if it mounts flush to the circuit board.

I would guess this is part of the mains EMC filter circuit of a power supply based on the high AC voltage rating.

Brian.

yes it is part of a 240v supply, the red one has the correct pin pitch, i will order the red one.
.47uf is the same as 470nf isnt it?
thanks.

Yes 470nF and 0.47uF are exactly the same, just showing the value in different units.

I am not sure if this was a local culture of some companies where I worked on, or if it is a more usual practice, but we too often indicate in the schematic the capacitor type by its scale (pF, nF, uF), as for example in the case below (merely illustrative) on which the same value may be represented in different fashions:

• 470KpF => Ceramic
  • 470nF => Polyester
  • 0,47uF => Electrolytic

thanks people, order placed.

Status
Not open for further replies.