Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog PLL or Digital PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanikapa

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
many advantages are mentioned in the papers related to Digital PLL but I see also many designs that still use Analog PLL. Can anybody help me to know that why still analog PLLs are popular and what are their advantages?
Thanks

Analog PLL's (LC-PLL) has the advantage of low Phase-Noise due to the use of analog LC-tank (instead of ring OSC in ADPLL).
although it address narrower frequencies than ADPLL because of the inductor which may work for a narrow frequency band as oppose to the ring OSC who has more wideband frequency response.

Analog PLL's (LC-PLL) has the advantage of low Phase-Noise due to the use of analog LC-tank (instead of ring OSC in ADPLL).
although it address narrower frequencies than ADPLL because of the inductor which may work for a narrow frequency band as oppose to the ring OSC who has more wideband frequency response.

But there are many ADPLL structures that use also LC-tank. In this case, what are the advantages of analog PLL?

But there are many ADPLL structures that use also LC-tank.
Originally, ADPLL means all-digital PLL and implements time discrete signal generation rather than analog oscillators (neither LC nor ring oscillators).

Please clarify about which PLL topology you are asking.

Originally, ADPLL means all-digital PLL and implements time discrete signal generation rather than analog oscillators (neither LC nor ring oscillators).

Please clarify about which PLL topology you are asking.

ADPLL I mean a divider less, TDC based design adpll.png that all the blocks are digital except the oscillator which is analog but is controlled digitally (digital controlled oscillator).

Thanks for the clarification. According to the classical terminology, as introduced e.g. by Best, an ADPLL uses a pure digital oscillator (NCO). In so far, the shown topology isn't an ADPLL. But it has many features of an ADPLL. The time discrete phase detector e.g. introduces a phase quantization and respective phase noise.

Analogue PLLs may be useful to recover very weak signal - I used such a PLL as a tracking oscillator to increase SNR of a noisy signal. In that case using a digital detector is difficult because sine- to square-wave conversion will introduce additional noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.