Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

getting incorrect S parameters analysis for LNA design in Cadence virtuoso tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgrjuneja

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am designing LNA for GPS applications (1.57Ghz) using inductive source degeneration topology, circuit is attached. I mathematically calculated the values of Cgs, gm for the gain transistor taking Q = 4 and Rs - 50Ohms. Using this i calculated the value of Lg, Ls & W/L ratio of gain transistor. I am flowing Id = 6mA through gain transistor using a current mirror and my gm/Id ratio is between 10-15.

I implemented my design on Cadence Virtuoso tool at 180nm technology node (spectreRF version is MMSIM13.1).

DC analysis i am getting is correct as my theoretical and practical values of Cgs, Gm, Id etc match but my S parameter analysis is totally incorrect with S12 = S21 = -3B, S11 = S22 = -10dB, NF = 2.5dB at 1.6GHz. My results are attached

I request somebody to suggest what could possibly be wrong with my circuit.
circuit.png
LNA-results.jpg

getting incorrect s-parameters (S21 & S12) for LNA design

I am designing LNA for GPS (1.57Ghz), i am getting reasonable S11 and S22 = -10dB and -14dB respectively but my S21 is always coming as equal to S12 (i.e. S12 = S21 = -3dB).
Attached is my circuit and S-parameters analysis.

Can somebody advise what could possibly be wrong.

circuit.png
LNA-results.jpg

S21 = S12 means no amplifier function at all, check bias point.

Isn't too much 10pF for C0 at 1.75GHz? It is only 9Ohm, and shunts the input.

Hi FvM, please let me know how do i go about setting the bias point. It will be really helpful.

Hi Frankrose, i noticed this mistake myself, i tried connecting the C0 left of R1 so that input sees a 10K resistor but no success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back