Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Linux Editor should I use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jani12

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My large 'C' language code is in Linux Server.

Which Linux Editor should I use to edit and navigate my source code?

I need to use powerful editor that has powerful source code navigation. For example, from function call, one keystroke will navigate to function definition. From 'C' source file, one keystroke will open the include file.

There should be comprehensive information to learn the editor from book or other sources.

From windows computer, I telnet to Linux Server.

The folder structure that contains my source code is in my home directory.

I personally have been preferred to migrate to Eclipse CDT all my development in C/C++ once this IDE is somehow a standard for most developers, so you'll have a nice support for any issue. In addition it allows integration with many features that can be downloaded at your wish.

I'm not sure you will find an editor that knows everything you want to do unless it is integrated into the compiler.

My choice is 'Kate' which understands code folding, keyword highlighting for many languages. It's a KDE application but runs in any linux version if the appropriate libraries are installed. "sudo apt install kate" should load everything you need and if you don't like it, "sudo apt autoremove kate" will un-install it completely.

I use it remotely with VNC and as a local application. If you are connecting to it by telnet, you probably want a Windows based editor, not a Linux one.

Brian.

Reactions: jani12

jani12

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
From windows computer, I telnet to Linux Server....

Telnet is rather insecure. What is recommended is ssh for linux and similar utilities for windows.

Will your windows allow you to run any graphics editor (can you open an x-window inside your telnet session)?

Many modern editors have a steep learning curve- I have been using vim for ages but cannot say that I have mastered it. Stick to the one you feel most comfortable.

emacs is one popular editor for ALL.

Reactions: jani12

jani12

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.