Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

control 10 LED's Using a Single IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauravkothari23

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I want some ideas about IC's to drive the LED's.
i have 10 LED to operate but i have only 4 pins to drive using 89S52 Microcontroller. it it possible using some specific IC or some other way.
I need to switch the LED's ON and OFF as per my specifications and use.

The classic methods are to use a port expander or a shift register. Both essentially mean you send the 10 LED control signals one at a time and capture them in the expander before presenting them in parallel to the LEDs.

I2C can do it with two MCU pins, a shift register probably needs three, clock data and latch.

Brian.

The classic methods are to use a port expander or a shift register. Both essentially mean you send the 10 LED control signals one at a time and capture them in the expander before presenting them in parallel to the LEDs.

I2C can do it with two MCU pins, a shift register probably needs three, clock data and latch.

Brian.

Thanks a lot to all....
I found the things working perfect using 89S52 microcontroller and 74Hc595 IC where i can control about 8 Led's using only 3 pin.

Hi,

Or use two HC595 and control up to 16 LEDs with 3 wires.
Or "n" HC595 for 8 x "n" LEDs.

Klaus

Hi,

Or use two HC595 and control up to 16 LEDs with 3 wires.
Or "n" HC595 for 8 x "n" LEDs.

Klaus

Thanks Klausst....
yes i have checked using 5 IC's in parallel, connecting 8 LED's to each IC... but found that more the IC's lesser the output Speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back