Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Possible options for five channel switching application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inflexible_Atropos

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking for best possible option to switch between 5 channels on an audio device. I will have 4 “main” channels, and under each “main” channel, I will have 5 “sub” channels. It is for a modification on a “kaoss pad quad”
After some research, I feel I should not go with latching transistors, I saw suggestions for a d-type flip flop being used as a switch on one website. Would this be a good method, and what would be the best way to execute this? If not, what, in your opinion is the best method?
If needed I can post a picture of the unit at hand.

You can't use a flip-flop to switch audio. And I don't know what a "latching transistor" is but my guess is that that won't switch audio, either. Why not just use an analog multiplexer?

If you are talking about switching audio signals
then the latching (whatever) is only the control.
first question might be, what's wrong with a N-pole
rotary mechanical switch? Simple as can be and no
"neediness" (and, a mainstay of audio equipment
for the last century, less the last decades when
controls became digital and analog switch ICs
could be easily addressed).

My apologies, I suppose a latching circuit using transistors would be more proper? Or transistor wired as a latch? I will have to look into the analogue multiplexer, and as for rotary switch, I need it to be able to switch hands free. I need to be able to just step on a button and have it switch. I do not want to use more than four buttons (due to space) do I don’t want to add a bunch of on/off switches.

It sounds like you need one 4:1 multiplexer and four 5:1 multiplexers. You haven't really defined this very well. First you say you want to switch between 5 channels, and then you describe something that sounds like twenty channels. Maybe you should show us a sketch.

Maybe an 8:1 analog mux (might look especially
for audio application related ones, with stuff like
"click and pop suppression") run from a CMOS
counter (4-bit is common). Throw away the MSB
on the counter, wire up inputs on the unused mux
inputs for future uses. A debounced single SPST
momentary switch to bump the count.

A Johnson counter and analog switches is another
approach. Johnson counter could also drive reed
relays.

I have seen mechanical multipole switches that
index from an up/down pushbutton pair, and also