Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flyback diode: it has one job, but mine sucks at it, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at your blue trace it is not too bad, a small snubber should compensate, smaller C (x 0.3 or smaller, and similar or larger R)

- - - Updated - - -

If you go to 5x the junction capacitance (~ 50pF) then a 330pF or 470pF cap should be heaps and you will have to experiment to find the correct R value (100 ohms starting..?) 0805 or 1206 directly across the diode. X7R dielectric as a minimum, preferably C0G (NPO).

A snubber across the driving fet can be of benefit too.

The power in the snubber R will be V^2 C Freq so for 10V, 100kHz, 470pF ~ 47mW, 10MHz = 470mW.

Thank you for your suggestion. In the meantime I decided to make a PCB, since the layout has such a great impact on the performance, I feel that I'm working somewhat in the blind with the "birds nest" circuit I have. I will revert with new results once winter holidays are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.