Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dual channel vs more Frequency Function generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZX_SPECTRUM128

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am a computer engineering student, totally new to electronics; so far, i have been more inclined toward software aspect of CE but now i am planning to change that. so i decided to buy some devices in order to practice electronics. currently i am about to buy function generator. where i live i can buy either dual-channel 10 MHz (Siglent SDG1010) OR single-channel 30 MHz (Siglent SDG830) and both have the same price. put in mind that i will NEVER work in audio neither radio applications. my goal of electronics is Micro-controller, digital design and FPGA applications. so what do you think is more appropriate for my situation more channel or more frequency? and No i cannot have both features it will be very expensive.

Note:
when i mentioned micro-controller, digital design and FPGA application i was talking about my eventual long term future field of application but right now i am about to start learning AC circuit analysis using a regular AC/DC circuit theory college text book ; this one https://www.powells.com/book/introductory-circuit-analysis-10th-edition-9780130974174

Last edited:

For digital you don't need a function generator, more like
a logic analyzer or digital pattern generator.

You might consider that many FPGA eval boards have way
more I/Os, memory depth and programmability than any
but the most expensive "big box" test equipment. The
logic levels might need buffering / shifting for some uses
but that's easy soldering practice. Many eval boards
have a "mezzanine" connector system so you could make
a "logic interface shield" without molesting the EVK at
all, and also robust PC interface software / connectivity.
Some even have low-end ADC, DAC resources which
might make for a nice little "core" for your bench.

Actually the only available options for me are :
Siglent SDG 805
Siglent SDG 830
Siglent SDG 1010
it is either on of these or nothing i am having some special situation here where i live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back