Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SOP8 IC has two options, but how do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only place any "option" is mentioned is on the last page. If you look at the SOP-8 packages on page 2, they appear to be the "Option 2" part, while the SOP-8 package shown on page 15 appear to be an "Option 1" part.

Looks like an email to the vendor is going to be needed in order to clarify what they mean by their "options".

Hello treez,

How do you know if you are ordering option 1 or option 2?

See last page of the datasheet:
The X parameters there's only a 0.1mm variation between option 1 and 2.
The Y parameters there's a 1mm variation, but if you look at Page 12 of the
datasheet, you'll see that the ground tracks are the width of the X parameter
and I doubt that 0.1mm will make any difference at all.
Therefore, the 1.0mm variation of the Y parameter won't make the slightest
difference either.
Regards,
Relayer

Last edited:

The datasheet doesn't talk about MSOP-8 ordering options. I guess, they are using different package suppliers and both shapes have been used in production. Unless it's said somewhere that one of it is used, you should be aware of both.

Technically, the package shape isn't necessarily equal to the footprint. If you don't need to maximize heat sinking, I would copy the smaller shape for the thermal pad, but making it larger is no problem either if you avoid excessive solder paste deposition.

Thanks, i always worry that if the metal pad on the component is bigger than the land pad on the pcb, then you could have hot metal pad against solder resist on the pcb, which would make the component "sticky" and stop it settling nicely onto the footprint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back