Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Auto voltage regulator output :5V, input:5 to 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl5

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Is any IC with following Features are available?

Input: 5v to 5.5v (USB powered)

Output: 5v(fixed), >10mA Current.

What is USB voltage of micro USB charger? In any specified range? And for long wired charger?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Auto voltage regulator output :5V, input:5to6

5V in to get 5V out? Sounds like all you need is a USB plug and cable.

Brian.

Hi,

For regulated 5.0V output...and this low current I recommend a capacitive voltage doubler followed by a linear 5V regulator.

Klaus

Output: 5v(fixed), >10mA Current...

>10mA is incomplete specification; you need to provide some upper limit also. Usually you design for the upper limit and ensure that it works reliably at the lower limit too.

Hi,

For regulated 5.0V output...and this low current I recommend a capacitive voltage doubler followed by a linear 5V regulator.
I don't understood.

This project is for professional purpose. So needed to be included all 2.0 usb voltage in concern.
As per wiki, USB voltages are between 5v +- 0.25v.

But firstly, want to know real life voltage range of usb voltage.

Thanks.

Hi,

I don't understood.
What don't you understand?
--> search this forum or google for "capacitive voltage doubler circuit", "linear 5V regulator".

I wonder where your voltages are from.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
This is what wikipedia tells:
As such, the voltage at the hub port is specified in the range
5.00 +0.25 −0.60 V by USB 2.0,
and 5.00 +0.25 −0.55 V[92] by USB 3.0.
It is specified that devices' configuration and low-power functions must operate down to 4.40 V at the hub port by USB 2.0 and that devices' configuration, low-power, and high-power functions must operate down to 4.00 V at the device port by USB 3.0.

Klaus

I too am confused. You originally asked how to get 5V from a USB charger. USB specifies 5V +/- 0.25V so you already have what you asked for.

Topic heading says you want 6V, not 5V and that changes the problem. Before we can answer we need more information:

1. Are you trying to get 6V from something plugged into a standard USB socket?
2. You mention 'charger' so is this USB socket on a computer or a power adapter?
3. What maximum current do you need? Bear in mind you can change voltage but not power.
4. What is your intended load? Knowing this might be useful for us to help you.

Brian.

Once that you clarify the answers other posters have asked.....

If your load current is high, let's say close to the USB 3.0 limit of 0.9 amp, then you may want to consider as switchmode SEPIC controller.

Hi,

Ic can't handle above 5.5v. It will be powered by USB or micro USB. I want to know range of real life voltage of USB. Will it exceed 5.5v? WIKI is telling beyond this range. But I want to know real life voltage. Including USB sockets of cpu, TV, micro usb charger,...

Is voltage regulator is necessary? very low voltage drop !

1. Are you trying to get 6V from something plugged into a standard USB socket?

No.

2. You mention 'charger' so is this USB socket on a computer or a power adapter?

I want to know both voltage ratings.

3. What maximum current do you need? Bear in mind you can change voltage but not power.

Very little around 10mA.

4. What is your intended load? Knowing this might be useful for us to help you

A small IC.

Thank you

Hi,

A small IC.
Small? Black? With 8 legs? ...this isn't very helpful.
You mainly harm yourself by not giving good informations.

Klaus

ALL USB outlets should comply with the specification. If one doesn't, it is technically faulty but nobody can advise you on what voltage a faulty outlet might produce!

As your current requirement is very low, I would suggest a 22 Ohm resistor in series with the power+ pin followed by a 5.1V Zener diode should protect against excessive voltages. It makes a simple voltage clamp 'just in case' your particular USB outlet is at the top end of the permissible range.

To use an LDO you still need more than normal USB voltage to reliably get a stable 5V out so you either have to build a boost converter then drop the voltage again or use one of the many small inverter modules (NME0505, NME0512 etc.) followed by a standard voltage regulator.

Brian.

Hi,

A NME0505 won't bring an improvement, because it has no output voltage regulation.

You can see this in the datasheet specification "Line regulation".
The value ">=1 %/%" tells that any change in input voltage may cause an even higher change in output voltage.
Usual "Line regulation" values with output voltage regulation are less than 0.01.
In voltage (unregulated): an input voltage deviation of 5% = 250mV results in 5..6% of output voltage deviation: 250mV...300mV.

See regulated DCDC type: NCM6S0505C
It has an output regulation of 0.1% with input voltage range of 4.5V ...9.0V. Mind the units: 0.1% is the same as 0.001%/% = 0.001
In voltage: an input voltage deviation oìver full range of 4.5V ...9.0V may result in an output voltage deviation of 0.1% of 5V = 5mV only.

Many of the cheap DCDC converters are unregulated.

Klaus

I was thinking to wire the 5V output in series with the 5V input to give ~10V out then to use a conventional regulator to stabilize 5V output.
Alternatively, if the output has to be isolated, to use a 5V to 12V converter block and regulator. For 10mA output it can be done in many ways but the NME0505 and say a 78L05 makes a low component count solution.

Brian.

It has been explained that VUSB must be expected to drop below 5 V, thus you need essentially some kind of buck-boost converter to get stable 5V output under all conditions. The implementation details depend on the actual requirements which haven't been clarified I think.

If the power supply is an USB charger operated at a small percentage of it's rated power, you can possibly calculate with a minimal voltage near 5V, but not safely above 5V, unless you chose a specific device with known higher output voltage. If relative stability is the objective, you'll probably regulate down to e.g. 4.8 or 4.9 V. If exact 5V is required for some reason, a buck-boost can be hardly avoided.

Hi,

I was thinking to wire the 5V output in series with the 5V input to give ~10V out then to use a conventional regulator to stabilize 5V output.
I didn't thought of this....but yes, this will work.

Klaus

Since your power spec is low, here is a simple charge-pump voltage doubler. It's portrayed in my homebrew animated circiut simulator (at my Youtube channel). The pulse train can come from a 555 timer IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back