Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flame Detection by low voltage UV sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hm_fa_da

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm trying to make a flame detection device (for gas flame) by UV sensor. the distance between flame and sensor is as long as the temperature doesn't hit the sensor (1-2 meters maybe).
I searched and found UVTRON sensors by Hamamatsu :
https://www.hamamatsu.com/us/en/product/category/3100/3007/index.html
and some made devices by that sensor:

But these sensors need high voltage circuit which i don't want to use.

I found UV sensors like ML8511 or many other small and low voltage sensors (analog or I2C outputs) like:
https://www.mouser.com/Optoelectron...d-Sensors/_/N-6jju9?Keyword=uv+sensor&FS=True

I found many flame detection sensors (industrial shape) using UVTRON Hamamatsu sensors ...
What's the reason for this much usage of UVTRON ... ?!
Is there any limitation for using UV sensor chips (Like ML8511 or VEMEL6070 ...) ?

An important item is the reliability of the flame detector device, so is there any difference on this point between the above two different type sensors ... ?

What's the reason for this much usage of UVTRON ... ?!
There at least two reasons, I think
- UVtron and similar similar devices are available since decades, unlike the new sensor chips.
- They have invicible sensitivity of pW/cm², able of detecting flames over several 100 meters
- Unlike some of the semiconductor chips, they are completely solar-blind without any filter

these sensors need high voltage circuit which i don't want to use.

I suspect the UV sensor needs a high voltage because it produces a weak signal. It probably makes slight response to the gas flame which is dim blue. Suppose you test a variety of photosensors? Especially infra-red (although it may really be better at detecting a red or yellow flame since that is more easily visible.) Possibly combining two sensors of different wavelengths?

1-2 meters

It's easier to detect at a close distance. If you need for the sensor to be this far away then consider mounting a lens so it concentrates light on the sensor. That is, if you can be sure the glass is the proper type to focus UV and/or IR.

You can use e.g. regular solar blind vacuum photo cells for flame detection, but the photo current is in a fA to maximal low nA range. UVtron devices have inbuilt gain and can interface with the ruggedized electronics of a gas burner.

I suspect the UV sensor needs a high voltage because it produces a weak signal. It probably makes slight response to the gas flame which is dim blue. Suppose you test a variety of photosensors? Especially infra-red (although it may really be better at detecting a red or yellow flame since that is more easily visible.) Possibly combining two sensors of different wavelengths?

It's easier to detect at a close distance. If you need for the sensor to be this far away then consider mounting a lens so it concentrates light on the sensor. That is, if you can be sure the glass is the proper type to focus UV and/or IR.

The UVTRON Sensors need High voltage circuit to work, you can find driver circuits in the producer website:
https://www.hamamatsu.com/jp/en/3007.html

I can't use IR in this application, because the flame is blue, UV works better here.

Thanks for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back