Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Parallel/Serial Processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

entrepreneer

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there a methodology to determine based on process node which functions should be paralell or ran in sequence when starting initial design? Difference I am focussing on is from 16nm to 10nm/7nm.

Just some guidance as far as how to go about that type of analysis. I did some searches this evening and will continue, but I would like to get acquianted with the forum as well.

Thinking out loud, I know there has to be timing differences between different process nodes and that would dictate the high level design. There will also probably be some chip utilization benefits (dark silicon) by leaving some parts serial and some parallel if I have the choice. Just wanted to know if there was a methodology to this that was widely accepted.

Hi,

It's not clear to me what exactely you mean.

I'm thinking about overall performance or data throughput.
If you need low data throughput you may use serial processes
If you need high data throughput you may use parallel processes.

Klaus

I am reviewing this paper right now. It outlines the problem of parallel vs serial design and dark silicon quite well and I am compiling other papers at this time too.

Just wanting to know how others are approaching this issue.

Attachments

• ISCA11.pdf.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 48

I am reviewing this paper right now. It outlines the problem of parallel vs serial design and dark silicon quite well and I am compiling other papers at this time too.

Just wanting to know how others are approaching this issue.

You design around the specs. That's all there is to know. Serial vs parallel is too broad, there are no methodologies for this type of decision.

No problem. I thought there might have been a methodology already out there to optimize this problem, but without specification I understand that its too broad. I will go ahead and close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back