Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR data format for audio/ video transmitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeetsy

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Do anyone know what which IR data format is currently in use? NEC IR portal?

I am wondering is there any range that has specified for specific application?
My application is to use IR transmitter in Audio receiver.
My device will be placed besides another device like TV, set-top box,..

I don't want to get my IR signal mixed up with another devices.

Thank you in advance

If you are looking for unique frequency assigned to button of remote then this post will help you.
It will show you the frequency in HEX code and you can further utilize that code in receiver unit. the figure in below show you the HEX code of remote button.
arduino ir remote.png
For complete documentation you may visit the link given below.
https://bestengineeringprojects.com/universal-arduino-ir-receiver/

There are thousands of IR protocols in use and no special allocation of protocol to purpose.

Sony devices tend to use Sony protocol - Samsung use Samsung protocol etc... etc...

Generic devices often use NEC protocol or extended NEC protocol. I would recommend that you use extended NEC protocol for your device, and choose an unusual address. There are thousands of possible addresses, so there is less chance of a clash.

I assume that you are asking about remote control protocol for your own device to adjust volume etc. If you are talking about actually sending audio over IR, then this is a completely different subject that I know very little about.

Expanding on what Hexreader wrote:

IR signaling protocols broadly fall into three categories
1. Constant mark duration with the space duration varied to represent 1 or 0,
2. Constant space duration with the mark duration varied to represent 1 or 0,
3. Constant bit rate with the inversion time used to represent 1 or 0. (RC5 and RC6 protocols)

Here, 'mark' means the carrier is enabled and 'space' means the carrier is disabled. The carrier is typically in the range 35 to 45 KHz. The actual durations vary from one product to another and usually, but not always, the data is split into an address field (to select one particular product) and a data field (to select the function on that product). Also many products send the ID data burst twice, once in 'normal' form and then with the original address and data bits (but not the mark/space timing) inverted.

If you want to send audio or video directly via IR, there is no established protocol and it is actually quite difficult to do, especially at video (up to ~5MHz) rates. For audio, most systems use multiple carriers, all FM at frequencies just above the audible frequency range.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back