Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hunter fan electronic Id for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Thejdman01,
Prior to removing the zener diode or any other component, was there brown
glue touching or over the zener, especially around the component pigtails?
Since that area has seen a fair degree of heat over the years, there's a good
chance the glues properties have changed it enough to make it partially
conductive.
Please check the link regarding glue issues found on PCB's: HERE
Before replacing any parts, I would remove ALL signs of the glue. Even
ensure you clean it up on both PCB's.
It wouldn't hurt to measure all the grey colored 2 watt safety resistors to make
sure none have gone open circuit or high.
Regards,
Relayer

I don't know the conductivity of the glue in PCB's, but I don't recommend to remove the glues or at the least we have to replace it with a proper glue or silicone sealant. The whole circuit is inside a fan and the components & wire connections will be disturbed with the vibration. So don't remove the glues. It will create problem for long run.

Udhay

Hello Udhay,

I don't know the conductivity of the glue in PCB's, but I don't recommend to remove the glues or at the least we have to replace it with a proper glue or silicone sealant. The whole circuit is inside a fan and the components & wire connections will be disturbed with the vibration. So don't remove the glues. It will create problem for long run.

You obviously never read the link I provided in my original post. Here it is again:

Glue Removal Recommendation

Another member disputed my claims as well, so can you please read the entire thread to understand
why that glue MUST be removed.

As for vibrations, then according to you, every single component should be glued down, especially
since wire connections and component pigtails are at risk?
I admit that "SOME" components require glue due to excessive vibrations, but the main purpose for the
glue is to hold the components down during the solder bath process at manufacture.
The latest glues do not suffer this problem, as manufacturers became aware of the eventual conductiivity
of the adhesives due to heat and age. The old types of glue they used were also corroding the component
legs as well.
Do you notice in all of the latest gear that they use white glue, to which I suspect, is silicon, but a
non-corrosive type. As there are some silicon sealants that can corrode metal.
Regards,
Relayer

Did anyone by chance confirm what diode I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.