Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FM to DSB (or AM) converter, can it be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
power FM to DSB (or AM) converter, can it be done?

Hi, I would like to find out if there is a technique that allows a powerful narrow FM signal to be converted to DSB directly, or even AM with unsupressed carrier. Can it be done in any way directly (passively) without converting the FM to audio and then use this to DSB modulate it? The slope detector (without the rectifying diode) is maybe an answer but I want it to be broadband (2-30MHz) and power converter (for 4-5w input signals to get significant AM output.

Not practically.
In its simplest form, think of AM (including SSB, VSB and DSB) as a central frequency with sideband(s) representing the amplitude and displacement from the center representing the modulating frequency. In FM, the equivalents are amplitude converted to displacement and frequency converted to the speed the displacement takes place. Converting from one to the other without remodulating would be very difficult. I'm not a mathematician but it may be possible using high speed sampling and complex digital signal processing but it wouldn't be an easy task.

Brian.

Not practically. In FM, the equivalents are amplitude converted to displacement and frequency converted to the speed the displacement takes place. Brian.
Very interesting, I didn't know that and I always wondered how baseband amplitude and frequency is represented in FM terms. FM seems more complex to me than SSB in that sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back