Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opamps protected against output short circuit to ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Is it true that all opamps, eg the MCP6001U, are deisgned to withstand their output being indefinitely short circuited to ground?

MCP6001U opamp datasheet.
**broken link removed**

..it just seems so very conscientious of the semiconductor fraternity to do this ‘charitable’ thing.
I mean suppose one puts 5V into the noninverting input of the MCP6001U opamp when its connected as a unity gain buffer on 5V single supply. The output is short circuit protected against any damage.

Hi Treez,

In my opinion it is no different than putting ESD diodes on op amp inputs or CMOS logic devices, or current limiters on voltage regulators or fuse boxes in houses or or or - it is a sensible design practice; conscientious - yes, "charitable" - with all due respect, and sorry, really - don't talk yet more rubbish, dude, please.

You mean something like the 741 and its continuous short-circuit to ground resistors? Perhaps it's just because anyone can make an absent-minded/distracted/novice mistake: "Did I connect all this stuff backwards or not...let's switch on and see." = not see due to good design practices like inbuilt protection.

**broken link removed**

I've just had to add a resistor to a simple circuit I want to make so as to avoid a shorted trimpot, were that to happen, from leaving nothing much between V- and ground. I didn't want to but nagging voice of common sense says rulez is rulez so in goes the short-circuit protection resistor - hey, maybe like charitable yet sinister sounding op amp designers, in your book :).

Like I said on the other website, simply read the datasheet.
The little MCP6001U you referenced is low power so its small maximum supply voltage and small maximum output current do not produce a damaging amount of heat when its output is shorted.

The 741 opamp is short circuit proof even when powered from 30V because it is in a large enough package to dissipate more than the heat produced with a shorted output.

You can refer to figure 2-13. Its output short circuit current is less than the maximum current.

You can refer to figure 2-13. Its output short circuit current is less than the maximum current.
The difference is tiny.
Written spec's with 5.5V supply at 25 degrees C= 23mA typical. Graph with 5.5V supply at 25 degrees C= 22mA.

I would not presume to say "all". However it's a common
feature.

Whether the part can take the power dissipation or the
interconnect stress indefinitely is a matter for the fine
print. There may be a short circuit duration spec, or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back