Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Industrial cognitive cameras (selection)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andre_luis

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm doing a research on industrial vision sensors (not bare cameras) having standard recognition features (fiducial, QR, barcode, PDF417,etc), where these first 2 patterns are the most important; all the processing have to be done embedded, I mean, the cognitive task must be done internally on the camera itself, without the image processing being externally made neither by any computer nor PLC.

As the solution has to be quite compact, the first thing that came to mind was to be 'all in one'; the cost factor is not so important as the reliability and logistics is, I am looking for a solution off-the-shelf, I mean, there is no intention to manufacture anything, but only to buy the equipment and program the API/Job inside, just it.

As for performance, this has not been precisely defined, but it should be able to take pictures of objects running on the production line with snapshot rate not much above 50 fps, and conveyor speed not exceeding 15m/s.

I have found many cameras whose websites promise features that I guess would meet the requirement, (candidates as: are XIMEA, Omron, Datalogic, etc) but I would like to hear your experiences on this regard.

I have been working almost 10 years with a camera model (whose company's NDA prevents me from mentioning it) which did not excedded 30fps, but even this model is not manufactured anymore. My experience on industrial cameras was limited to that brand, which by the way had thermal issues.

In this case, could someone who had worked with any specific model/manufacturer and have no issues on sharing it, could give some insigths on that ? I fear to shortlist models by myself based only on a comparative assesment of the information available on their product charts, but whose issues/weaknesses (obviously) were not mentioned there.

Thanks in advance.
Andre.

Status
Not open for further replies.