Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: OTP programming / OTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAMALEAO

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I came across with a device called otp. I have a rough idea what it is after the research I did however there isn't much info around the web.

Does anyone have it can point to a document that explains in more detail this device?

Re: OTP programming / OTP

Any device that can be only programmed once, e.g. an EPROM or EPROM based processor without quartz window for erasure. Can be found rarely these days because EPROM has been mostly replaced by flash memory.

Generally a nonvolatile feature that can be only programmed once, either due to technological limitations or intentionally, e.g. for security reasons.

Does anyone ... can point to a document that explains in more detail this device?

Here are a few papers:

EPROM OTP , s. page 9. Until now, this is the most used OTP technology. Actually this is a electrically, in principle re-programmable non-volatile memory. For re-programming, these memory chips must first be erased by UV radiation, that's why real EPROMs (not OTPs) have ceramic packages with UV transparent windows. OTPs can be programmed (electrically) like EPROMs, but they are packaged in plastic packages (without such a window, of course) and so can't be erased. Plastic packages are a lot cheaper than ceramic packages with UV window.

Here are some more OTP technologies.

There are even FLASH technology OTPs: FLASH memories actually are re-programmable, too, but these have a bug concerning their (electrical) erasing mechanism and so shouldn't be erased, hence they're marked and sold as OTPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.