Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5-bit Sequential Multiplier Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremeejoseph

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day! I'm not quite sure If I came at the right place to post this thread.

The title itself says the main concern. I am new to studying digital logic design. I would like to design a 5-bit sequential multiplier with 5-bit operands (multiplier and multiplicand) that would be used for the input. There are some certain conditions that I need help with.

Input:
A: 5-bit input which is an operand to the 5-bit sequential multiplier.
B: 5-bit input which is an operand to the 5-bit sequential multiplier.
START: High-asserted 1-bit input which initiates the multiplication process. If START is asserted for 1 clock cycle, the multiplication process starts. START can be de-asserted once the multiplication has started.
RESET: Low- asserted 1-bit input which initializes the flip-flops.

Output:
P: 10-bit output which the product of A is and B.
DONE: High-asserted 1-bit output which asserts whenever the multiplication is finished. Once DONE asserts, the current product should be present in the P output. The DONE output will be held asserted until another operation is requested (START is asserted again)
BUSY: High-asserted 1-bit output which asserts whenever a multiplication is currently being performed by the multiplier.

I have here a 4-bit design. It uses 8-bit shift registers, 4-bit counters and some adders. But it seems to be a long process and has complications.
What could be the best possible way to deal with the design by simulation?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 88

Hi,

Is this a school project?
Did you read through the threads listed in the box "similar threads" below?

But it seems to be a long process and has complications.
What does this exactly mean? Please describe more clearly.

What exactly is the problem with simulation here?
Are you getting some errors?

Klaus

Good day! I'm not quite sure If I came at the right place to post this thread.

The title itself says the main concern. I am new to studying digital logic design. I would like to design a 5-bit sequential multiplier with 5-bit operands (multiplier and multiplicand) that would be used for the input. There are some certain conditions that I need help with.

Input:
A: 5-bit input which is an operand to the 5-bit sequential multiplier.
B: 5-bit input which is an operand to the 5-bit sequential multiplier.
START: High-asserted 1-bit input which initiates the multiplication process. If START is asserted for 1 clock cycle, the multiplication process starts. START can be de-asserted once the multiplication has started.
RESET: Low- asserted 1-bit input which initializes the flip-flops.

Output:
P: 10-bit output which the product of A is and B.
DONE: High-asserted 1-bit output which asserts whenever the multiplication is finished. Once DONE asserts, the current product should be present in the P output. The DONE output will be held asserted until another operation is requested (START is asserted again)
BUSY: High-asserted 1-bit output which asserts whenever a multiplication is currently being performed by the multiplier.

I have here a 4-bit design. It uses 8-bit shift registers, 4-bit counters and some adders. But it seems to be a long process and has complications.

please tell me you are not being requested to do this using schematics. this should be done with an FSM like 99% of all digital control logic should be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back