Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using FET as a varactor in 5GHz VCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgy.Moshkin

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Similarly to
, I am going to use FET as a varactor.
To test this idea I have added FET varactor to the cut near ground vias of quarterwave "finger" resonator. S21 maximum shifted from 5GHz to 9GHz (FET biased at Vgs=-1v). Simple analysis shows, that for simple quarterwave 5GHz resonator frequency will shift to 9GHz after adding 0.4pF series capactior. Does it mean that FET Cgs is around 0.4pF?
The only way to lower frequency back to 5GHz I see is to increase length of quarterwave resonator, which will become almost half-wavelength, is it reasonable?

Comparing the varactor capacitance with microstrip line impedance suggests that the varactor end is rather open than short circuit. Respectively the setup is nearer to halfwave resonance, you need to increase the line length for 5 GHz respectively. Halfwave is also the topology in the paper, I presume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back