Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

choosing high speed data storage element

Status
Not open for further replies.

amin5659

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all.
I've a 40 Mega Sample/Sec ADC and want to store this data to storage element By FPGA.
the minimum capacity of this element should be about 16 gigabytes. Can you suggest me some of the pieces that work for me?
for example a model of hard drive :|,SD-Card or ... .
thanks

That really depends. Is your data in bursts? Continuous? How fast do you need to access the data? A hard drive may not be fast enough. Does it need to be non-volatile? DRAM won't work. FLASH might be your best bet.

Hi,

what about external DRAM with FPGA inside write-cache / FIFO?

Klaus

THANKS FOR RESPONSE.
Is your data in bursts? Continuous? How fast do you need to access the data? A hard drive may not be fast enough. Does it need to be non-volatile?
my data is continuous.and i want 40 megabyte/s data transfer rate.also it must be non-volatie
what about external DRAM with FPGA inside write-cache / FIFO?
as i said i need non-volatile memory.
thanks

Hi Amin,
are you designing your own hardware or do you want to do it with an existing board?
What FPGA? GTPs?
Is saving data on a PC considered as non-volatile?

What safety (missing samples ) is the requirements?

I have done similar with different methods:
* FPGA board with PCIe transferring data with DMA to PC and write to HD.
* Buffer in DDR mem and send via 1000M Ethernet to PC that stores the data.
* Write directly to SSD disc over SATA.

Hi. thanks for response
are you designing your own hardware or do you want to do it with an existing board?
Its better to design my own hardware. I'm using spartan6 slx9-2tqg144.
Let me give you more explanation:
I want to design a battery powered system with USB interface. when USB is plugged in. The batteries will charge and data will transmit to PC via USB protocol.(I'm using CY1608 for handling USB Protocol).Also when the USB is plugged out I have to store data to a non-volatile storage device like SD-card or etc.this storage device can be on board.(for example: FPGA stores data in this element and when USB has plugged, stored data can be transfer to computer via USB) The transfer rate that i need, is about 30-40 Mega byte per second for usb plugged in and 20-40 Mbyte/per second with usb plugged out.
with CY7 i have reached to 35Mega-byte per second at usb side. But I do not know how to do this for the storage element.
can you help me?
I have done similar with different methods:
* FPGA board with PCIe transferring data with DMA to PC and write to HD.
* Buffer in DDR mem and send via 1000M Ethernet to PC that stores the data.
* Write directly to SSD disc over SATA.
'
that's great. But I think that this transfer rate is a bit too much for me!

- - - Updated - - -

I think NAND flash would do it. Look at Micron, Panasonic, etc.
yes. thanks
what about quad SPI SD-cards??

An SD card is flash. You could use that, but then you need to add a socket to your design. Unless you need to remove the card, there's no reason to add that expense.

what about quad SPI SD-cards??
There's no thing like quad SPI SDcard. SDcards are using a specific 4-bit interface, different from SPI. To utilize the available speed, you need to implement the interface in your FPGA design.

SDcard association has defined speed grades with minimal 30, 60 and 90 Mbyte/s sustained write rate.
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/speed_class/index.html

The typical write rate of these high speed cards is about the threefold, but you can't trust it.

You can definitely operate an SD card in SPI mode, although I don't think there's quadSPI in an SD.

You can definitely operate an SD card in SPI mode
Yes, but you can't utilize the full card speed. Thus using the generic SDcard interface is obligatory for the intended data throughput.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back