Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IO voltage on ATSAM4LC2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lur711

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Do I need to do anything to get voltage on my I/O pins on the ATSAM4LC2? I made a small program that just toggles pin PA20. On an ATSAM4LC4 it works fine, but if I do the same on a ATSAM4LC2 the IO pin just toggles if I put an external pullup on it.

I tried to enable pullup on the I/O control registers, but it didn't help. I am applying power to VDDIO and VLCDIN. Not sure what could be wrong. Tried everything I could think of already!

Thanks for your help!

Update:

I make one C project that simply creates a square wave on PA20 (as mentioned above). Write that to a board with the ATSAM4LC2A and to a board with the ATSAM4LC4C. The board with the ATSAM4LC4C works perfectly - square wave outputs fine. The one with the ATSAM4LC2A only outputs the square wave if there's an external pullup resistor.

Question: Does the ATSAM4LC2A require any special internal initialization to apply power to the GPIO outputs that the ATSAM4LC4C don't need?

I tried that on 2 boards with the ATSAM4LC2A. Both had the same result. I am, however, using different programmers for both. On one I'm using an J-Link with OpenOCD. The other is a development board (SAM4L XPLAINED) that has its own SWD programmer inside, so I'm programming it directly from Atmel Studio 7.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently it has something to do with LCDA (the supply for that pin). If I do the same thing with PA05 (which is supplied by VDDANA), it works fine, and I get a perfect square wave with no need for a pullup. My VLCDIN pin is indeed at 3.3V.

UPDATE:

Problem is solved. I'll leave the solution here for the record:

The ATSAM4L datasheet says on page 47:

"When LCD feature is not used, VLCDIN must be always powered (1.8-3.6V). VLCD, CAPH, CAPL, BIASH, BIASL can be left unconnected in this case."

That's wrong. If the LCD feature is not used, you must power VLCD with VDDIN in order to use anything on a pin that has LCDA as the supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.