Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to load program to A54SX16A-PQG208M FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithun_K_Das

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to load program to A54SX16A-PQG208M FPGA?

I'm new and do not know anything about it. I was repairing a device with A54SX16A-PQG208M FPGA. Found that the program is not erased some how. I've the program. But how can I load this program to this FPGA?

I've bought USB blaster 2. Can I use it?

- - - Updated - - -

FPGA brand: ACTEL

The parts cannot be reprogrammed. They are anti-fuse parts...one time programmable. Besides a USB blaster is for Altera parts.

If you don't know anything you should not be attempting to reprogram a device. Learn first before doing anything.

The part is an anti-fuse part....

Programming the part causes permanent physical changes to the device structure, there is no erasing those parts. There are no EEPROM blocks in the part. Where are you getting your MISinformation?

Read the datasheet if you don't understand, which is what I did to answer your original question (as I didn't remember which Actel/Microsemi part family that was).

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, learn first usually means...
1. Google search on part number of device (the datasheet linked above is the first google result for "a54sx16")
2. Download datasheet and any user guides
3. Read/study files downloaded or skim for the relevant information using search and looking at the table of contents
4. If there are questions not answered in 3...more google searches
5. If you didn't find anything useful using google, ask on edaboard or another forum (please ask on only one at a time)

There is a block over that FPGA. What is this block for can you explain?

Attachments

• 20171206_121817.jpg
    20171206_121817.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 20171023_195534 (1).jpg
    20171023_195534 (1).jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:

It is a heat sink.

The FPGA is not in this small board. There is a big board where the FPGA is placed. And this small one containing lots of EEPROM chips and some other unknown chips are over that big board. Check image carefully.

I really do not see where this thread is going?
What are you actually trying to do? Recover the EEPROMs? It's already been pointed out that you cannot reprogram the FPGAs, and you couldnt do it with a USB blaster anyway.

I suggest scapping the boards and getting fresh, unprogrammed ones?

The device costs: USD:30,000.00 . Can you imagine what it is? We consulted with provider, they sent us a program. But they are not telling how can I load that program to this device. That is why I'm asking how to load program to this device.

This device has a FPGA centrally. Over that there is that small block of PCB containing some EEPROMs (as I found from google search) and some other unknown devices having no name.

The device has a RS-232 port only.

When you say "device" what are you referring to? the FPGA is a $400 part . Do you mean the board costs $30,000? what does it do? are you sure you havent been ripped off? If you know nothing about it - why did you even buy it?
If the device is already programmed, YOU CANNOT LOAD A PROGRAM INTO IT!
The provider should be giving you the board as a ready to go unit. If not, I suggest more converstations with the supplier.

This device is the control card for iFlex E5 overhead crane. This is not working now. We discussed with supplier. after 3 months of several conversation, they are offering two things: We can replace it by a new one which will cost USD 30K, or they can send the program and we need to load it to the controller. Also we paid them some for program (over 2000). But now they are not telling how to program.

But as the crane is not running, so per day loss is: $500.

So we oped it, and found there is lots of ICs most of them are different kind of shift registers, power controller, smps driver, opto-couplers, etc. Only one central chip is Actel FPGA. and a block of chips is just over that FPGA and most of the connections are going to that FPGA. That is why I asked if it is programmable or not. If so then how to load the program. I think now you got a clear idea.

This device is the control card for iFlex E5 overhead crane. This is not working now. We discussed with supplier. after 3 months of several conversation, they are offering two things: We can replace it by a new one which will cost USD 30K, or they can send the program and we need to load it to the controller. Also we paid them some for program (over 2000). But now they are not telling how to program.

But as the crane is not running, so per day loss is: $500.

So we oped it, and found there is lots of ICs most of them are different kind of shift registers, power controller, smps driver, opto-couplers, etc. Only one central chip is Actel FPGA. and a block of chips is just over that FPGA and most of the connections are going to that FPGA. That is why I asked if it is programmable or not. If so then how to load the program. I think now you got a clear idea.

Do simple math: 90 days * $500 = $45000 and do right decision. You don't know which part of the board is fault. It might be a burned transceiver or voltage regulator. You can not reprogram the FPGA chip. You have to buy a new, blank FPGA, buy FlashPro5 USB programmer, replace FPGA chip and program in system (if there is a JTAG header).

As the OP appears to not be an EE nor do they have experience around electronics. I would imagine they have probably ESD damaged the board.

Given the OPs lack of debugging ability, trying to "fix" this with a "program", which I'm not even convinced is an FPGA image (I'm sure the vendor KNOWS that the part is one-time programmable). The "program" you were given probably goes into a eeprom or flash chip on the board and is an actual software program that runs a micro.

Did the vendor tell you this is an update to the FPGA or did you just guess this on your own. Are you even sure the FPGA on the board is an SX part?

The cost equation pointed out by flip it is apparent that nobody at that company understands finances. After the first few days I would have ordered the new board. Another option might have been seeing if the company was willing to repair the board for less (unlikely but it wouldn't have hurt to ask).

Both of the supplier and the owners have internal problem. This is one kind of push-pull situation. Anyway, the supplier suggested to load the program. They said that the program has erased some how. But they can not do it themselves. Although the first offer was to replace it but they denied to arrange a new one. So they sent us a program instead. The situation is complex and there is some other issues between supplier and owners.

Now we are trying to repair it if we can do something. Besides, we've ordered from other supplier (a German company). In the mean time, we will try if it can be repaired. If it can run, other one will be a spare and we can use that one whenever this one stop working again.

The supplier is a local vendor. They do not have any skilled person to repair it. We are trying ourselves. They only arranged a program which was may be copied from this controller before they supplied us the whole machine years ago. Because they gave us a hint like that. So we are trying to load the program if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back