Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Light green,portable lizard trapper

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiinaiwen

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good evening, my fyp title is green, light and portable lizard trapper. So i need to design a hard ware to trap the lizard and kill it. I try to find the sensor without using coding and not using arduino. Any circuit or hardware design that fulfill the requirement? My idea is using the IR sensor . First turn on the device which turn on the LED and attract insect to attract the lizard. when the lizard trap into the device , and when it block the IR sensor then the whole circuit on, then generate electric shock to kill the lizard. Is it possible? WITHOUT USING CODING

I would suggest you have another sub-system to attract a fox which would then eat the lizard, rather than wasting electricity.

Hi,

I agree with Barry but disagree about the device required: get a cat, hiinaiwen, it's a pure analog lizard hunter, and very good at it - they check all walls and surfaces for them several times a day.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as seriously as the feline option, I don't know if the lizard problem is indoors or outdoors, but any old white light lamp will attract moths at night, which will in turn attract lizards. Electrocuting might make the lizard explode and be very messy (see what fly zappers do - keep them far away from food areas). Do lizards slip on oily surfaces?

At a guess perhaps the simplest is a pressure sensor and a metallic plate and an LED to attract insects, when the lizard steps onto the plate the pressure sensor senses it's presence, and someone else can think of a way to close the circuit to electrocute the lizard; you could have the pressure sensor trigger a lid on a box. You should look at how UV fly traps work to get an idea, but on a much bigger scale - are they a grid of +V -V and the fly fills the gap to create a short or something revolting like that?

Observation tells me lizards may not be too excited about climbing into a confined space, so for every 1 you trap another 99 will be too shrewd to risk it.

Light might attract moths, but they're active at night, lizards are not. And how will your device distinguish between lizards, birds, cats, etc.? I, too, would be concerned about exploding lizard parts splattering all over the place.

But you definitely get points for a bizarre application of technology.

for the pressure sensor ,it no need use coding?and how to make a circuit that can activate the circuit to electrocute the lizard when they push the pressure sensor?

you means use a pressure sensor as a switch? when lizard go into the trap, then, the weight of lizard give pressure to the sensor as a switch and activate the circuit? How the circuit design? If i want to use a dc supply as source. The pressure sensor need to be very sensitive right? since lizard is so light

You may not even have to use a switch. If you have two plates with a small gap between them. When the lizard first enters he steps on the plate connected to ground. Once he steps across the gap to the next plate he shorts it out. Not sure if lizards can sense the potential difference to know whether to stay away or not. If so you'll have to use some good bait to motivate him to take the chance. No matter which way you do it you have the problem of how do you remove the carcass so that the trap resets and doesn't stay in it's shorted state.
Personally I don't consider them to be that big of a nuisance and there are more humane ways to deal with them. Perhaps when they start throwing party's and playing loud music all night I will have to order one of your traps.

Once he steps across the gap to the next plate he shorts it out. This sentences im not so understand...u mean the lizard will drop into the gap between the plate?

Maybe you should just get a mouse trap, put a fly on it as bait, and be done with it. Green, portable, light. Meets all the requirements. No danger of shock or of killing the neighbor's cat. Multiple units can be purchased for a very small cost.

Go to YouTube and search
" baited lizard trap-SUCCESS". Sometime the best solution is the simplest. I think the key is that the bottle is clear. From the little bit I've read lizards are primarily sight hunters. It's cheap and humane.
When you build a device like your proposing it needs to be in and enclosure that prevents electrocution of non-targeted animals. Are worse yet a small child.

I suspect trying to electrocute a lizard is unlikely to work (unless you are willing to build a tesla coil to power the trap.

Lizards have scales which I don't think are all that conductive and being desert creatures those scales are there to help prevent moisture loss, which means they are very dry on the outside (ever touched one before?).

You could use a low tech sticky stuff, to "glue" the lizard in place. Then you won't have a mangled lizard to throw away.

I think the cat approach proposed by d123 is the best, besides catching lizards, it purrs and will occasionally great you when you come home. The cat might also leave you gifts (dead lizards) on your pillow ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back