Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

V-shape cut-out in LED cathode pad

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
What's the purpose of the V-shaped cut-out in this LED's pad? (Z8Y19 LED) Is it to help it sit centrally on the pads when its being reflow soldered?

The footprint is seen on page 21 of the datasheet

Seoul Semi Wicop Z8 Y19 LED
http://acrich.tw/_upload/Goods_Spec/Specification_Z8Y19_Rev5.2.pdf

We have 200 PCBs where we forgot to put the V-shape in...must we throw them in the bin?
The ones we tested work well and the LEDs look perfectly central, even though we forgot the V-shape.

Hello treez,
That "V" cut is only to signify the cathode end of the LED and how it needs to be orientated.
If you decide to have more PCB's produced, it wouldn't hurt to place the letter, "K"
as part of the silkscreen to identify the cathode end. Thus if any of the LED's need to be replaced,
it would make it easier to know how the replacement LED needs to be orientated.
You have no worries. No need to chuck out any of the PCB's you've already produced. :)
Regards,
Relayer

Last edited:
Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello treez,
That "V" cut is only to signify the cathode end of the LED and how it needs to be orientated.
If you decide to have more PCB's produced, it wouldn't hurt to place the letter, "K"
as part of the silkscreen to identify the cathode end. Thus if any of the LED's need to be replaced,
it would make it easier to know how the replacement LED needs to be orientated.
You have no worries. No need to chuck out any of the PCB's you've already produced. :)
Regards,
Relayer

This post is not topic specific, but it was just a instantaneous thought. As I saw many people in manual soldering and repairing in home based industries in villages in my country, who are more comfortable with symbols rather than Alphabets.

Is it not better to use LED symbol, instead of "K" ? It will make it language independent and can be oriented or repaired by any person globally.

T

Hi,

did you see the LED package?
It has no marking that one can see on the packege, it just has the same V cut in one of it´s pads.

I assume the V has no meaning for solderability, it just shows the cathode.

In this case neither a "K" nor a LED symbol tells enough that one knows in what direction to solder the LED, one has to read the datasheet.

Klaus

T

Hi,

did you see the LED package?
It has no marking that one can see on the packege, it just has the same V cut in one of it´s pads.

I assume the V has no meaning for solderability, it just shows the cathode.

In this case neither a "K" nor a LED symbol tells enough that one knows in what direction to solder the LED, one has to read the datasheet.

Klaus

Yes you are right.

I was too much generic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back