Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the best way to make PCB prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

noisepic

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I post a thread here to discuss about the most effective way to make PCB prototype (not PCBA) for hobby to ensure:
- Fastest
- Low cost
- 2 layer
- For SMD component

I want to mention on PCB CNC milling machine. But most is >2000$, I'm looking for the best way.

There are many companies here in the US offering very inexpensive solutions, nowhere near $2000.

Hi noisepic,

There is many online vendors available like Free PCB, All PCB etc. They offer very low cost but really quality pcb solutions. You can instantaneously put your parameters and get your quote within seconds.

Not only them, there should be many vendors offering services online, just Google search to find a best vendor for your purpose

All the best!!!!

For SMD parts, you almost have to have your board professionally done. For a 10cm x 10cm good quality two layer board, with plated through holes, solder mask both sides and silkscreen both sides, there are many Chinese companies that will produce 10 for less than $30US delivered. You might have to wait two or three weeks for the board, but you would be hard pressed to be able to produce one as good as these for the price.

Here are the capabilities of one such company I have successfully used (not sure of the board's policy on putting out company's names):

ITEADSTUDIO PCB CAPABILITIES
Layers 1 - 4
Material FR-4
Board Dimension (max) 380mm X380mm
Board Dimension (min) 10mm X10mm
Outline Dimension Accuracy ± 8mil
Board Thickness 16mil—79mil
Board Thickness Tolerance ± 10%
Dielectric Separation thickness 3mil—20mil
Conductor Width (min) 6mil (Recommend>8mil)
Conductor Space (min) 6mil (Recommend>8mil)
Outer Conductor thickness 35um
Inner Conductor thickness 17um--100um
Copper to Edge >12mil
Plated via Diameter (Mechanical) 12mil—248mil
Plated Hole Diameter Tolerance (Mechanical) 3mil
Unplated Hole Diameter Tolerance 2mil
Hole Space(min) 10mil
Hole to Edge 16mil
Annular Ring(min) 6mil
Aspect Ratio 8:1
Solder Resist Type Photosensitive ink
Solder Resist Color Blk ,Green, Wht, Blue ,Yell
Solder Resist Clearance 4mil
Solder Resist Coverage 4mil
Plug Hole Diameter 12mil—26mil
Selective Finish HASL, ENIG
Silkscreen line width (mim) 6mil
Silkscreen text height (mim) 32mil

There is no "best" solution.
If you can spend 4 or 5 days, using a professional manufacturer would by your best bet.

For hobby with just a few hours turnaround, you have CNC, iron method or UV method.
I vote for the pre-sensitized PCBs and UV light box.

But I don't know really what are you asking for.

Then you have ferric chloride, chloridic acid and H2O2 mix, etc. for etching.

There is no "best" solution.
If you can spend 4 or 5 days, using a professional manufacturer would by your best bet.

For hobby with just a few hours turnaround, you have CNC, iron method or UV method.
I vote for the pre-sensitized PCBs and UV light box.

But I don't know really what are you asking for.

Then you have ferric chloride, chloridic acid and H2O2 mix, etc. for etching.

Unless you're very, very poor, or for some reason REALLY want to make your own PCB, these homebrew methods are just too much trouble, and yield pretty poor results. And then you have to drill holes(accurately), and if they're plated through you have to make sure you address that. ExpressPCB, for example, will make you three boards for $51USD.

Unless you're very, very poor...

In poor countries (India is not counted as a poor country officially but in reality the life is different) doing it yourself is not really cheap. You need to procure all the chemicals and they are expensive in poor countries. Here in Hyderabad, India, I can get a 10cmX10cm (4"X4") FR4 board double side, PTH holes made (medium density) for around USD30. Slightly cheaper than California but considerably cheaper than doing it yourself. 3 sft of the positive film will cost around the same locally.

But it is fun to do it - just for the heck of it (I cannot do PTH at home still). But simply not worth on a regular basis. In fact the local agent who was doing the PCB work here (in Hyderabad, India) for me was asked to shift because of pollution concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back