Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hmoe networking questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxpwny

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have broadband internet, and have always had the cable modem in the basement (the line comes in there). The cable modem output goes up to the attic and across the floor, then down into the wall and into my second floor work room. It's the easiest wired path there.

In the work room I have a Linksys WRT54G router and will often have multiple devices online at once (wired - as preferred), I also use the Wifi of the Linksys router (probably mostly via my phone when I’m upstairs).

Recently a housemate moved in and my goal was to get them a wired internet connection to their desk on the first floor. I felt it very impractical to wire a line from the second floor work room all the way to the first floor.

So, my thought was to take the cable modem output in the basement and run that into a Ethernet switch right next to that. One output would go up to the basement ceiling and over to the spot where there desk is, then up into a jack on the wall right next to the desk.

A second Ethernet switch output would be the existing line up to my workroom and into the Linksys router.

Does that make sense in terms of ease of installation and security ?

I have a second Linksys router (WRT54GS). I’m assuming that has a (better) hardware firewall built in. The Ethernet switch likely is just a dumb switch I assume. Would there be any benefit to using the second Linksys router in the basement in place of the switch ... if that’s possible ?

Thanks

It isn't a second router you need, it's a hub or managed switch, the WRT54GS might be configurable to do that if you can disable DHCP and maybe NAT in its menu. Whatever you do, never have more than one DHCP controller active on the same network or you will likely lose control of them all from any connected computer.

If it helps as an example, the configuration I use here is like this:

Satellite + 4G USB stick on mobile network + ADSL -------------> Draytek Modem/Router with DHCP enabled (it has multiple internet ports)

Draytek has 6 local Ethernet ports, LAN 1 - 5 go directly to networked devices,
LAN 6 goes to a Netgear 16 port hub with 13 directly connected network devices.
LAN port 14 on the Netgear hub goes to a Netgear DG834 router used only as a remote wireless access point,
LAN port 15 on the Netgear hub goes to a Netgear DGN2200 router used as a remote wireless access point and NAS port for backup storage
LAN port 16 goes to yet another Netgear 8 port hub which in turn feeds printers and an oscilloscope.

Only the Draytek router has DHCP enabled and the other two Netgear routers have it disabled and in any case have fixed IP addresses. It is a fairly complicated network but it covers three buildings with wired and wireless connections, has internet fallback if one source fails and gives me a backup facility in a remote building in case of disk failure on the main systems. All the wireless points have access control enabled so only authorized devices can connect to the network to keep it secure.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.