Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

True Voltage level from dB in Audacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faisal349

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I generated a linearly frequency modulated signal (40kHz-45kHz) in Audacity software with an amplitude of 1. Ideally, the gain should be 0dB in this frequency range. But, when I use the Plot Spectrum option in Audacity, the gain is not 0dB but less. And as I increase the size e.g. from 1024 to 65536, the gain further reduces. What is the reason for it? I think it is divided by the size of the window, that is why the gain reduces?

How can I extract the true voltage level from the Plot Spectrum option in Audacity or MATLAB etc?

Regards

What are the values shown?

dB is a relative measurement. You would need to know what 0dB corresponds to in terms of Voltage. This makes sense as you could play the same song on a wide variety of audio equipment all with different output capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back