Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper motor system needs replacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vzimmer

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an old school optical projection system that the single axis stepper motor system has died. The system projects a resolution chart to an optically flat glass plate to inspect the image for resolution purposes.

We would like to replace the system new but similar set-up but do dot have the knowledge needed to know what we need. I have read a lot in the last few days but what seems to not be finding a component to replace the hand held control unit.

The hand piece has a momentary red switch that that runs the system continuously forward or backward. The round knob I assume is a pulse generator? It allows us to fine tunes the unit so that we can focus the projected image precisely to where we need it.

I apologize for not knowing stepper systems so I am taking a stab at asking you experts for some help. We do not want a computer programed or controlled system as it would be awkward to use in our set up.

The current system I have attached images of the current components. Hopefully this will help. (actually it will not let me post images).

Thank you for reading my post any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

20170908_140226_resized.jpg20170908_140230_resized.jpg20170908_140239_001_resized.jpg

Images attached now

You need to be more specific; it's not clear what you are asking for. You posted a picture of a box with a knob and a stepper motor; that's not very useful. Obviously, you can buy this motor. The round knob is not a 'pulse generator', it is a round knob.

We want to replace the whole stepper system. The motor does have a equivalent replacement from Oriental Motors and other manufacturers.

The Knob/wheel on the hand piece operates the stepper motor in small increments depending on how much you turn the wheel.

You're still not very clear. First you say that the red button moves the motor, then you say the knob moves the motor; which is it? Does the knob, perhaps, control the SPEED that the motor moves when you press the red button?
If that's the case, then what you need is a stepper motor DRIVER (something like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12779). Then you need to find (or build) a variable-frequency pulse generator (you could build a simple circuit using a 555 timer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back