Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speeding up brushless fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Javid.zare.s

Hi
I wanna speed up my friends cooling pad which does have 4 brushless fan (like a pc fan.)
Its currently on 5 volt and its power source is regular usb.
With a new adaptor ,I wanna keep the current (after measuring) but increase voltage to something like 12-8 volts to boost the fans.
I wanna know approximate balance btw durability and cooling, what voltage or current do you suggest ?
P.s; lets say that each individual fan drains 0.1Amps

Brushless fans are actually AC fans but the internal circuits (these cooling pad DC fans do have some internal driver built in. The speed is actually load limited in the sense that the stator coils are fed with variable frequency.

The speed will increase with the applied voltage but the boost will depend on the internals. Perhaps a 5V fan will happily take 8V but I am not sure about the 12V option. It may perhaps heat up too much.

By the way, cooling depends on the actual air flow and the actual air flow depends on the pressure difference and a faster fan will make a greater difference in pressure (no doubt about it) but I am not sure about the overall effect.

Electric motors are basically current devices but small motors have considerable resistance and higher voltage will produce greater heat. If you go above, say about 7.5-8V, the motor may suffer loss of life- premature death.

I do not suggest running a 5V motor at 12V for extended periods.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Brushless fans are actually AC fans but the internal circuits (these cooling pad DC fans do have some internal driver built in. The speed is actually load limited in the sense that the stator coils are fed with variable frequency.

The speed will increase with the applied voltage but the boost will depend on the internals. Perhaps a 5V fan will happily take 8V but I am not sure about the 12V option. It may perhaps heat up too much.

By the way, cooling depends on the actual air flow and the actual air flow depends on the pressure difference and a faster fan will make a greater difference in pressure (no doubt about it) but I am not sure about the overall effect.

Electric motors are basically current devices but small motors have considerable resistance and higher voltage will produce greater heat. If you go above, say about 7.5-8V, the motor may suffer loss of life- premature death.

I do not suggest running a 5V motor at 12V for extended periods.

Great , so ill go for 8 volts ��������

If you can, take a look at the fans, they will hardly have a label with their power ratings. As it's USB powered, they might be for 5V nominal, but maybe the manufacturer has chosen 12V as they are more standard and available, so if they could support 12V, go ahead with that. Otherwise, don't try anything to ensure they will not suffer damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back