Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Data acquisition software (e.g. LabView, DASYLab). What should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeye_Guy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to purchase data acquisition software (e.g. LabView, DASYLab) to download data on RS-422. What should I use?

Right now I have the following components in my system:

1. Laptop computer with USB port.
2. Black box containing 56K bytes of data. It has an RS-422 port.
3. USB to RS-422 converter (manufactured by Sealevel).
4. RS-422 cable.

I need to send commands to the black box on the RS-422. And then I need to transfer data from the black box to the computer on the RS-422 and save the data in a binary file.

I need to design a simple user interface to do this. What is the best data acquisition software to do this with?

A long time ago I used a package called “Test Point” by Capital Equipment Corporation. I loved that software, but apparently it is no longer sold. :( I know LabView is the most commonly used data acquisition package, but I have heard the learning curve is substantial. Will DASYLab do what I want? I have heard it is simpler than LabView. Would you recommend something else? Wonderware? Azeotech?

Thank you

It seems that LabView has got much bigger community around the Internet - in case of any problems very often you can find very similar question/solution at NI forum.

I need to send commands to the black box on the RS-422. And then I need to transfer data from the black box to the computer on the RS-422 and save the data in a binary file.

I need to design a simple user interface to do this. What is the best data acquisition software to do this with?

Thank you

So the job is only to save the 56k bytes sitting in blackbox to the PC ?

Depending on your programming skills you could use Python with TKinter GUI extension to make a simple control panel - the software is for free.

There is a open source software called script communicator that can log data to text file, google search for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back