Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cable selection for instruments,actuators, pumps, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ieee_2017

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody,

It is my first time choosing the cables myself, we have to many instruments and other devices in the site,
some are 800 meters fr from the control room (DCS), so if we want to choose a signal cable for an rotork actuator IQ30, a flow meter, pressure transmitter, does 16 AWG is enough for these kind of devices (all are 4-20 mA output signal type except Rotork).

Looking forward for your reply.

Best Regards

Wires that carry power should not be the same wires that carry signals or information.

Long wire runs should be low impedance. If they are high impedance then they more easily pick up noise interference. Shielding is a good idea.

I'm not expert in this field so I could be wrong. There may be reliable methods to combine everything into two 16 gauge twisted wires.

800 meters is half a mile. Look at wire tables to see what resistance is in various copper diameters:

http://amasci.com/tesla/wire1.html

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Hi,

Especially power cables (pump) are mainly selected by voltage, current and the allowed voltage drop.
You need to know those informations.

Klaus

Thank you so much gentlemen, that was ok but am still wanted to get more detailed information supported by a practical experience.

Regards

Hi,

Many applications, many cables, but no general rule.
Goto a good cable manufacturer's catalogue and through the different cable selection guides.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back